julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Pure Imagination

...it's not that I want to be someone different from me, but I suppose it partly is that. I love creating a character in a fantastical situation, like Dr. Frankenstein, like Leo Bloom, a little caterpillar who blossoms into a butterfly. I love that. --Gene Wilder

***

I can't believe I didn't mention this before, but I'm going to see Gene Wilder tomorrow night in person at the Castro Theatre. I've had these tickets for months, waiting waiting waiting. He's going to give an hour-long talk before the showing of Young Frankenstein. I mean, give me a break. Gene Wilder, the comedy genius of my childhood and beyond.

I am fairly beside myself with joy. I'm sure tomorrow I will be completely silly and useless at work. I am not sure how much more perfect a Wednesday night can be.



The Waco Kid: "I must have killed more men than Cecil B. de Mille."



Do not open this door: A favorite scene (YF), which is pure fucking comedy genius.




The only movie I probably saw more than Car Wash as a kid was Silver Streak.



And The One, The Only Willy Wonka! You are not allowed to mention Johnny Depp in my presence in conjunction with this role. Never.

And when he eats the flower at the end of the song, my sister and I used to go freaking nuts.

I love Gene Wilder. Is it Wednesday yet?

10 comments:

Unknown March 18, 2008 at 8:22 PM  

oh my gosh, i'm so excited and envious and in awe of you right now. gene wilder had such an impact on my life beginning at such at early age. i can't wait to read all about it! (and the castro theatre...such a beautiful venue...perfect.)

tangocherie March 18, 2008 at 9:10 PM  

I so love him too! Wish I could go with you!

tangobaby March 18, 2008 at 9:17 PM  

Hi Miss Octavine,

I'm glad you know exactly where I'm going to be and how cool the Castro Theatre is...I will throw Gene a kiss for you.

I bet you loved The Little Prince too. I haven't seen that one in forever.

Hola TangoCherie,

I wish you could be with me, too. I would love to have your company.

I promise to give you the full report.

b March 18, 2008 at 11:59 PM  

Yeah, I loved Car Wash too.

Keep those rags'n'machines hummin....

tangobaby March 19, 2008 at 9:30 AM  

"You got to believe in something...why not believe in me?"

Great soundtrack. I'm sure it won't surprise you that I went to see Rose Royce a couple of years ago at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.

j March 19, 2008 at 10:45 AM  

i am with you on the wonka! have fun tonight, and see if you can steal a little picture ;)

tangobaby March 19, 2008 at 10:54 AM  

Dear j,

I don't know if my little iPhone camera will do him justice, but I will try. I am going to get there as early as I can so I can get a good seat up close.

Anonymous March 19, 2008 at 11:04 AM  

That is so cool! If only I could teleport... maybe some day.

paris parfait March 19, 2008 at 2:09 PM  

Oh you lucky girl! Enjoy every minute.

Anonymous March 19, 2008 at 6:07 PM  

Gene Wilder is a genius! Please post soon on how the whole evening was with Gene. And photos, if you can get any!