julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Shake Some Action

I cannot begin to tell you how much fun I had today. These are the first, preliminary shots I took for the band Magic Christian (Cyril Jordan on the left and Paul Kopf on the right). We're scouting locations for a shoot when the rest of the band arrives for a gig here in September. They're recording their new CD and I'll be joining them to photograph the rehearsals, the show, and hopefully their new CD cover! (I told them if I don't have a job by December, I'll go with the band to Spain. Maybe I won't try too hard to find one...)


Long long long story short, Cyril is one of the founding members of the Flamin' Groovies, one of the quintessential 60s SF bands. His new band, Magic Christian (bonus points to you who know where that name comes from) will be touring in Europe this fall but they're playing here on September 4 at the Great American Music Hall.

You'll be hearing a lot more about this band, as we're all now pretty fond of each other. We had a blast driving around the city looking for potential photo shoot spots once the whole band is here in September. All of my meandering and walking has really paid off as they loved some of my locations, and we have more practice shots to take throughout the city.

I even got them to visit my Dog House! They loved it.

***

Here's a clip of Magic Christian playing "Shake Some Action," which is one of the Flamin' Groovies biggest hits.



And here is the original Groovies playing "Roll Over Beethoven" and Cyril is the dark-haired guy on the guitar.


11 comments:

Adan August 16, 2009 at 4:51 AM  

how awesome would it be to tour spain?!?!! that would rock!!!

will August 16, 2009 at 5:23 AM  

Sweet.
How about that - the Flamin' Groovies - they were high energy and quite fun. Pistol Packin' Mama, you bet!

Miss Bus Driver August 16, 2009 at 6:18 AM  

I love the rockin' photos. What an amazing opportunity!

Char August 16, 2009 at 9:05 AM  

sounds like a perfect gig...great shots too

Anonymous August 16, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

Photographing a band? That is awesome!! How exactly did you go about getting that gig?? And going to Spain with them?? How much are they paying you (if you don't mind me asking) That is such an amazing opportunity for you!! Glad to hear about it. How did everything turn out with K and the kids? Did they find a place. I hope you're well, and your life has calmed down a bit. Miss your lovely emails. Find some time to kick back and relax!

Nancy Ewart August 16, 2009 at 9:59 AM  

Awesome gig - you GO GURL! "Magic Christian" - from a Monty Python movie = 60's R&R reborn to give some soul to our current rancid music scene. Works for me! I sure hope that you can go to Spain with the band; gives a new meaning to the sentence "I'm with the band."

AphotoAday August 16, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

Well, how cool...

Anyway, I'm supposing there is more to their name than just the movie, but what do I know?

Had fun watching a YouTube video clip with John Clese, Ringo Starr, and Peter Sellers (((just those three names together is funny, but then I am easily amused)))

Any prizes for guessing your locations?
1) I'd say that was at the Ghiradelli Building because of the street lamp.
2) I'm guessing is somewhere in the Presidio?
3) And I love that "architects" mural on Gold Street...

But all the best to you, Julie, hope everything works out...   Flame on...

Kristen Holden August 16, 2009 at 2:43 PM  

Darling, you make the kids look tres chouette.

The Pink Cowboy August 16, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

Hello Golden Gate Diva, love this group, they remind me a little bit of The Beatles and The Ramones. My kind of band.....I just need to get a beer and enjoy the backbeat.....cool!

robin-bird August 16, 2009 at 9:11 PM  

ha! it is great to hear you had a blast!! that is music right there, you're good for them and they're good for you! the practice pictures are keepers! you are flyin' girlfriend!!

Camels & Chocolate August 20, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Great shots, Julie! Perhaps you've found a new calling: band photographer?!