julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"Mr. Widdicome, there's no such place as San Francisco. Please!"

Rosalind Russell as the incomparable Auntie Mame.

***

From way back when I could even remember thinking about it, I never wanted to be a mom. It didn't feel like something I wanted to be when I grew up. It wasn't a judgement: good, bad or otherwise. I just never envisioned myself as being a mom, like I never saw myself being a nurse or a firefighter.

Not that Mom is an occupation, mind you. But somewhere way back then it was just a lifestyle I didn't think much about.

However, I have always wanted to be an Auntie. And luckily for me, I am.

***

I can't remember the first time I saw the movie Auntie Mame on television. I do distinctly remember thinking how fantastic Mame was, in her exotic and fun clothes, surrounded by cigarettes and men and witty banter. Somewhere way back when, I did decide that if I was ever going to be an Aunt, I would try to be an Auntie Mame type.

I'm still working on it.

***

I'm leaving tomorrow to go to Las Vegas, as my delightful confectionery dumpling of a baby niece (aka Princess Chubness) is going to be One Year Old at the end of the week. !!!

I am also going to have a birthday (next week, but close enough) where I am going to be One Plus Many More, so we're going to celebrate together. I am already missing San Francisco, though, even though I'm still here and not even packed yet. However, the smiling tiny faces that I'll be kissing soon will get me over that tout de suite.

I'm covering my tracks by scheduling advance posts on CALIBER and i live here:SF so no one will know I'm gone. Maybe I'll make an appearance here... who knows, but I will be working hard on my Aunting:

"Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

photo from the New York Public Library.

7 comments:

Dina November 4, 2009 at 8:47 AM  

Happy Birthday and Have a Wonderful Trip, "Auntie". BTW, I'm loving me some CALIBER.

valerie November 4, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

Have a wonderful birthday and hope all those wonderful wishes come true.

I can't bear to leave the city and when I do, I yearn to come back home sooner than I am supposed to.

~DokterKenny November 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM  

Happy birthday Tango Baby...u have a safe trip!

An Open Heart November 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

Happy Birthday, AUNTIE......!

I LOVE being an Auntie...it's the best. You will be fabulous, I just know it....can't wait to see photos of Princess Chubness.


S

Marilyn Miller November 5, 2009 at 4:35 PM  

Have a banquet full of kisses and hugs dear "Auntie".

Mary-Laure November 6, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

I know how you feel. I can't wait for my sis to produce little nephews and nieces for me to spoil!!!

RNSANE November 7, 2009 at 5:26 AM  

Being an "auntie" is the best of both worlds! You can love 'em, then leave 'em. Have a wonderful time. Happy birthday to both of you.