julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Morning Mystery


I think part of the reason I love taking photos of people is that some of them absolutely fascinate me. So many worlds to be exposed to.

Above and below are Calli. She contacted me about being part of i live here:SF way back when, in the early days. We went out for tea on a cold afternoon and she told me a lot about her life and her life studying fashion and art here in the city. And then for a bunch of different reasons we weren't able to get together to take photos.

Now all these months later, we finally did. And the wait seemed to be a very good thing. I don't think we would have achieved some of the haunting and extraordinary images that we did until now. Above is Calli in a bodystocking. She explained it as a way to disappear, when you want to be by yourself but you're surrounded by people. The look of it, and the concept fascinated me. I guess I can relate. I also learned a tiny bit about Butoh, just enough to intrigue me and make me want to learn more. As I learn, I'll share with you.

I now have a new camera. One of these photos was taken with the new one, and one with the old (which I'm now calling the Security Blanket Camera). I'm happy using both as I learn my way and how my camera influences my style and what I'm capable of capturing images of. I know I'll need more lenses to do what I want to do but already I can see the quality of photos improve from having a larger sensor. I love being able to control the depth of field, something I was never able to do before.

My mom lovingly gave me a large part of the money for the new camera for my birthday, and I subsidized it with some of the money I made at Tedda's show in September. I think I will name the body of the camera Bunny, after my mom. That seems very appropriate and special. She has told me that she would like to give me some money from my grandmother's account to pay for a lens or two. So I will call the lenses Helens or Little Helens.

I really really like the idea that my grandma, wherever she is, is helping me to see the world more beautifully.

6 comments:

Mandy_Fish November 18, 2009 at 12:44 PM  

Love the pics.

And what kind of camera is the new one?

Yoli November 18, 2009 at 4:08 PM  

What a beautiful post and I have no doubt that you always make your Mom proud. A wise investment indeed.

I'm Katie. November 18, 2009 at 5:06 PM  

I really, really like to think your grandmother is helping you to see the world more beautifully, too.

Marilyn Miller November 21, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

Great pictures and congratulations on the new camera.

Relyn Lawson November 24, 2009 at 6:43 PM  

Oh. sigh..

I am pretty sure that Little Helen would be thrilled to be a part of your art and your beautiful life in just this way.

SE'LAH... November 29, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

Congrats on your new camera...I'm sure you'll wow us even more.

xo