julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Bring Me the Head of Tangobaby

Today I had one of those horrible headaches (woke me up at 5:21 a.m., which I find to be extremely rude) and it is finally, finally going away.

But it was one of those mornings where it would have been very nice to swap heads (put this one in the shop for repairs, have it back next Tuesday, thanks!) or just pull a Salome on myself where I would also be John the Baptist.

And that thought made me instantly want to be in Paris (it's Tara's fault, too, with her photos today) and if I was there, I would go straightaway to the Gustave Moreau museum and dawdle because it's just one of my favorite places to be, with all of the light and the super tall ceilings and the most incredible paintings on every wall in gigantic gilded frames all the way up to the tippy top.

And then it further dawned on me that I have seen not one but two famous Salomes in my life so far: the one at the Gustave Moreau museum and the Gustave Klimt Salome at the Ca'Pesaro in Venice. Two Gustaves, two Salomes.

And that made me not want to cut off my head, but instead to plan to see all of the Salomes of the Western World, because all in all I bet Salome was a hot babe who probably looked great in a sweater and liked to dance for her own pleasure, and certainly those types of girls get a very bad rap by the boys who write the history books.

Which reminds me that if you want to read a really fantastic book about women and the history of dance, run right out and get Something in the Way She Moves, by Wendy Buonaventura, which is a fascinating, fun read and you'll learn a lot about history, dance and its place in society, and sassy, wonderful women.

I think I'm feeling better already.

13 comments:

Anonymous August 27, 2008 at 2:06 PM  

I do hope that you headache goes away soon. They're horrible things to have.

I am quite a lover of Klimt, especially The Kiss and The Three Ages of Women I think it's called.

Relyn Lawson August 27, 2008 at 2:47 PM  

Oh, I love this post. Only you can turn a headache into both an ode and a history lesson. I'm off to my library website to request Something In The Way She Moves. Sending you hugs to drive away the last of the headache.

Vanessa August 27, 2008 at 3:05 PM  

TBaby, it must be something Trans-Atlantic, as I, too, of late have been having spells of dizziness (that have thankfully not yet deteriorated into migraines). Quite horrible, really.

A great massage and rest might do the trick. I've also been advised to sit on an exercise ball while I'm working at my desk for improved spine health, which often influences these headaches. I'm eager to try that and literally, bounce my way through the day! :-)

Gute Besserung to you!

ELK August 27, 2008 at 5:46 PM  

your post was wonderful except for the headache glad that you chased it away with some painting and a good book!

Anonymous August 27, 2008 at 7:34 PM  

all this fascinating insight! your salome adventure sounds exciting. i'm definetly checking out that dancing book

Tess Kincaid August 27, 2008 at 7:38 PM  

Ooooo...love Klimt's Salome! Glad you are feeling better tonight.

Anonymous August 28, 2008 at 5:17 AM  

No fair! I hate it when that happens. Hope you're feeling better now.

christina August 28, 2008 at 6:31 AM  

I hope your feeling better today! : )

The book is officially on my list!

tangobaby August 28, 2008 at 10:25 AM  

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your well wishes (I can credit loads of Excedrin and a bit of chocolate as my cure) and I'm more excited that some of you might pick up a copy of that book...I promise you'll enjoy it and I hope to hear from you when you read it!

And willow, to see that Klimt in person is something I'll remember forever. It is so glorious (and big and bright and gorgeous) in person that I couldn't stop looking at it...

hugs to all of you today.

paris parfait August 28, 2008 at 4:13 PM  

So sorry about the headache. But I think you should plan to visit Salome again later this fall. After all, you need to see it in every possible light, right? :) xoxox

Jaime August 28, 2008 at 10:25 PM  

Headaches are horrible things, aren't they? But what a great way to cure a headache...wonderful art, dreams of Paris (I get to go for the very first time next summer!!!) and chocolate even!
Wonderful post.
xo

tangobaby August 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM  

Hi paris parfait...

don't tempt me! But I'm working on it. Promise!

Jaime,

If you are going to Paris, then we need to chat! I have LOTS to share with you. Paris is where my heart lives.

Yoli March 26, 2009 at 4:46 PM  

I have long suffered from migraines so I feel for you. I also came by because I recognized the painting and my daughter's name is Salome.