julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, December 28, 2007

Slow Down, Girlfriend

It's felt wierd being out of the tango loop for most of December. It had been my plan to get a lot of practice in before Ney comes back in January and use this month's time to work on what he had been teaching me.

But then cold and flu season intervened and shot that plan all to hell.

Yesterday morning I was so excited to finally get back to dancing again: a private lesson with Shorey before she left for Providence and then my favorite milonga at La Pista, which I have missed for two straight weeks in a row.

By the time of my lesson with Shorey, I was dragging again. It's not being sick, it's just not having any energy--no matter what my good intentions are.

The lesson turned out better than I had expected. Instead of feeling like I am starting all over again, which is how I get sometimes when I haven't danced for a while (whether it's true or not), I was more relaxed and was able to pick up where I left off much easier than I expected.

Shorey was so inspiring and encouraging, and it made me realize how hard I am on myself about my dancing. I've really got to try to cut that out. We practiced small things, little back steps, little ochos, little adjustments in posture. Relaxing into the lead, into the music. She taught me this cool move that she learned from Felipe and by the end of the lesson, we were both getting such a kick out of doing it that I made her promise to lead me sometime at a milonga because I don't know if I'll ever be led to do that step by anyone else but her.

We walked down to the Powell Street station together after our lesson, talking about makeup and travel and holidays, and as I hugged her goodbye, I could not help but feeling so grateful that I had the energy to enjoy that hour, and that Shorey is such a giving teacher. It felt like such a gift.

The train ride was quiet and I got to sit and read my book all the way home. It also started to rain and I felt that tiredness creeping up over me again, so I decided not to push my luck. La Pista isn't going anywhere. I'll be ready for it soon. Hopefully next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous December 28, 2007 at 1:31 PM  

I, too, am suffering from a nasty cold!!! It's Sneeze City! Looks like 2007 will be the year of NO TANGO. Hope you feel better.

*sniff*

tangobaby December 28, 2007 at 2:56 PM  

Oh no! I hope you get out of Sneeze City right away. I've been in Sleepytown for far too long. Neither of which are good places for tangueras who are ready to dance, are they?

Although I am going to try to make a class & milonga tonight. Hope springs eternal.

Feel better soon!