julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, February 22, 2008

The Red Balloon (Le Ballon Rouge)

I don't think of myself as a particularly nostalgic person. Strangely, I seem to have more nostalgia for people and places and times other than my own personal experiences.

I don't know what made me think of this movie today. Perhaps because I think about Paris a lot. Or perhaps because I just wrote this post about color versus black and white in filmmaking, and now I'm ready to contradict myself immediately as I am wont to do at times.

Whatever the reason, I wanted to share a rainy-day elementary school moment with you: Snuggling hordes of small bodies, sitting cross-legged on the flat, nubby carpet, waiting for the AV assistant to thread the film through the spools on the old metal projector. Giggling and whispering. Listening to the scratch and crackle of the audio through the boxy speakers.

Loving Le Ballon Rouge every time and wishing for rainy days so we could watch it.

I hope this brings you a smile for whatever reason. The entire film is posted below.

Amusez-vous.





Part 1







Part 2







Part 3







Part 4 (fini)

6 comments:

studio wellspring February 22, 2008 at 3:48 PM  

oh my, i love this movie! thanks so much for sharing it.

j February 22, 2008 at 4:08 PM  

i love this movie, too! i was just musing on the power of nostalgia the other day. sister blog post to come...

Elizabeth Brinton February 22, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

What s with the synchronicity of this blog world! I just rented this movie, wanting to see it again after all these years!

tangobaby February 23, 2008 at 1:29 PM  

Ms. Wellspring,

You're welcome. I'm glad it made you happy.

Dear j.

I'll look forward to your sister post soon.


Hi Elizabeth!

That is so cool...you know what they say about great minds...

*hugs* to all of you.

Anonymous February 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM  

This movie always makes me sad! That poor balloon. A great classic art film non the less!

tangobaby March 4, 2008 at 10:05 AM  

My Katie!

You are back...I am just ogling your Clark Gable pics and soon to comment.

I remember being sad about the balloon, too, but at the end when there is the whole bouquet of them...doesn't that help a little bit?