julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Now I know summer's over.

Watching the Canada geese fly overhead in the sunshine.

Smoke from barbeques fill the air.

Other kinds of smoke, too.

All shapes and sizes and breeds of creatures enjoying the music.

But I really came to hear these two gentlemen most of all.

Earl Scruggs

Ralph Stanley

***

What amazes me about these two men, well into their eighties and proudly onstage with their sons and grandsons accompanying them, is how much life and energy they project out into the audience. Hearing them play was such a gift, that's the best way to put it.

I hope if and when I live that long, that I'm still full of as much life and passion as these two. It's inspiring as heck.

Two of my favorite songs, and yes, they sounded that great in person, too.


Earl Scruggs "Foggy Mountain Breakdown"
Flipping awesome. You can't sit still and listen to this.


Ralph Stanley "Man of Constant Sorrow"
Gives you the chills and makes you smile at the same time.

8 comments:

Just Jules October 4, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

The signs of Fall are a bit different here :) Like bone chilling temps, snow birds arriving and song birds leaving, leaves falling, and frost on the windshields... of course - we do live in two different worlds on the same continent.

d smith kaich jones October 5, 2009 at 5:14 AM  

Of course, fabulous images! And that song. It is a chill giver - wonderful!

:) Debi

AphotoAday October 5, 2009 at 5:42 AM  

Damn, damn, damn -- I wish I had gone back on Sunday... Would have loved to hear Earl Scruggs! And of course Emmylou Harris!

Tomate Farcie has a good post on Doc Watson today.

Char October 5, 2009 at 11:22 AM  

a wonderful thing to do - those are living legends.

LoisW October 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM  

I love Earl Scruggs!! I made plane reservations for him many, many years ago when I worked for Ozark Airlines!!! Love the CD "Will The Circle Be Unbroken!"

shabby girl October 5, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

I am SO happy that you got to go there!!!! I just know you had a wonderful time!
Such great artists, fantastic music, and the open air, what's not to love!!!

shabby girl October 5, 2009 at 8:24 PM  

I guess it's a good thing I wasn't there...it brought tears to my eyes here, I would have lost my mind there!!!!

Anonymous October 10, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

Sounds and looks like such a fun day!!