julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Girl with the Blue Hair

I am having way too much fun with this software.


This filter is called Direct Positive. I think I like having blue hair. It brings out my eyes.
;-)

***

This blue hair reminded me of an old wonderful book I have. It's the original version of The Adventures of Pinocchio, by Italian author Carlo Collodi. This is my book, published in 1927, and it has an entirely different story than the Disney version that most people would know.


Pinocchio goes through many grave and serious trials, aided by the Girl with the Blue Hair (in Italian she is the Fairy with Turquoise Hair), who would later be transmogrified into a minor character as Disney's Blue Fairy.


Like most fairy tales, the original story of Pinocchio has very deep allegorical meanings and symbolism that were completely denuded or removed entirely when given the "Disney" touch. I remember reading my book over and over again and being completely absorbed in Pinocchio's dangerous and fantastical world.

Here is a very good introduction to the original story, with an interesting interpretation of the Girl with Blue Hair. Next time you see a copy of the original story in the bookstore or library, give it a read and see what you think.

Isn't it funny how things just pop into your head from out of the past like that?

Okay, now I'm going to bed. Seriously. Nitey-nite.

12 comments:

Greg September 21, 2008 at 11:43 PM  

I remember reading that when I was a kid and being really surprised at how different it was from the Dizneefied version.

I would try and find "real " versions of old stories and read them as a result. Some of them are rather twisted.

A few years ago, Art Spiegelman released a book for kids "little lit" that was drawn by alternative comic folks. The only rule was they had to be "timeless" stories (i.e. no current events jokes) or a retelling of an old story as is. They had the sequel to Snow White (which a) i'd never heard of and b) wow it was twisted).

paris parfait September 22, 2008 at 8:02 AM  

Love the blue hair and the REAL story in your book. Why is it so difficult to find the "real" anything these days? xoxox

julochka September 22, 2008 at 9:28 AM  

cool blue hair. i'll definitely be on the lookout for the real pinocchio.

happy monday!
:-)
/toj

Anonymous September 22, 2008 at 11:26 AM  

part 1 of my comment:

YOU LOOK ADORABLE IN BLUE HAIR!!!!!

Anonymous September 22, 2008 at 11:32 AM  

part 2 of my comment:

I ADORE YOUR HAICUT!!!!!

i know. i am so shallow.
xo

Anonymous September 22, 2008 at 11:33 AM  

HAIRCUT.

Anonymous September 22, 2008 at 11:35 AM  

part 3 of my comment:

i hope you're not at work.... didn't you get my dr.'s note in time?

Tess Kincaid September 22, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

I'm so envious of your new software! I love what it did with your eyes!!

tangobaby September 22, 2008 at 2:33 PM  

Hi greg,

Wow! I am going to check out that Art Spiegelman book. I remember reading Maus many moons ago. I had no idea that Snow White had a sequel, and I bet it's a goodie.

I used to love those really creepy, gory fairy tales. My copy of Grimm's was pretty dilapidated and the weirder the story, the more I liked it. I remember Mother Hulda a lot for some reason. And Cinderella, where the girls cut off their toes in order to fit into the glass slippers! Crazy stuff. I think my all-time favorite story was East O'The Sun and West O'The Moon, and I'm looking for an old copy of that one. I think they are Scandinavian fairy tales.

I have read a bit about the purpose of fairy tales, that they are to educate kids about the hardships of life and obviously they were created for a certain time and place in history. But there must be some primeval appeal to them, even now. I do enjoy the Disney versions but I think there is place for both. Obviously most original fairy tales would scare the crap out of most kids if they were realized on the big screen.

Hi paris parfait,

It's a sign of the times, perhaps? All of us need our myths and archetypes, I guess, but we won't be getting them from Disney.

Hi julochka,

Do look for it. You could read it to Sabin and see what she thinks. That Pinocchio was pretty crazy.

Hi robin bird,

Thank you...and you can't be any more shallow than I am. ;-)

I am at work! I did not get your doctor's note! *sob*

Hi willow,

You can download the trial software for 30 days for free. Give it a whirl. Oh, you like the fluorescent blue eyes? I look like I have those crazy contact lenses in. But I do like the blueberry hair!

christina September 22, 2008 at 3:25 PM  

Sweet blue hair! You are having fun aren't you?

Relyn Lawson September 22, 2008 at 6:51 PM  

What better thing to read before I head to bed? Nighty night to you to, sweet, blue-haired friend.

Anonymous September 22, 2008 at 10:28 PM  

I love fairytales with their original stories intact... Your book looks absolutely wonderful :-) I love Clarissa Pinkola Estes for this very reason, the fact that she tells stories in their original meaning.

And I love ya blue hair *lol*