julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Tagalicious Redux

Ahhh, the Getting to Know You meme. (Now I have that song playing in my head.)
I've been tagged by Mari at maybeinutah for that meme where you wonder "how much do I divulge without alternately boring or scaring people?"

I think last time I did it, I played it safe. Colored inside the lines.

Now I'm going to blow this meme out of the water. I know you guys can take it.

***

But, like how the accounting and consulting firm Price Waterhouse must explain their practices before the Academy Awards, I must first list the rules of this meme:

1. Link to the person who tagged you. (See, I've done it twice, just to be safe.)
2. Post the rules on your blog. (Here they are.)
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post and link to them.
5. Let each person know they've been tagged and leave a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

And with that, here are six random things about me that have nothing to do with the other seven random things I gave you last time. I hope these six things are more randomer and more interesting. If not, you can also read the old list and decide. Then you will have a total of 13 Random Things about me for general educational purposes.

***

1. There are two times in my life when I have won a dollar. One time was when I won the "Bone Bee" in physiology class in 11th grade. It was like a spelling bee, except for that Mr. Church held up pieces of a skeleton and then you had to say what bone it was. So I knew more bones than anyone else in my class, and won a silver dollar. My dad still calls me Bone Girl. (But you know all about my dad now, don't you.)

The other time I won a dollar was when some kids on the block dared me to write the F-word in colored chalk on our driveway. Which I did in big, bold letters. And then immediately afterwards, my dad came home from work and drove right over my word. I got in trouble and had to give the dollar back. (In case you were wondering, this wasn't when I was in the 1th grade.)

2. I have two degrees. Actually one is a degree and one is a piece of paper-- you decide which one is which. One is a Bachelor of Sciences in Industrial Technology. The other one is from beauty school.

I always have to explain the Industrial Technology degree because no one's ever heard of that area of study. I tell people it's like an engineering degree for people who couldn't get into engineering school, or hate math, or both.

I don't have to explain the beauty school stint, except to explain why I went there after I got my four-year degree. And then have to listen to people sing "Beauty School Dropout," from Grease.
I just want you to know that I graduated at the top of my class in BOTH areas of study.

I can tell you about the crystalline structures of certain metals OR do your eyebrows to movie star perfection, depending on my mood.

3. I have only accepted a ride with a total stranger once in my life. But it was in Paris, so to me that doesn't count as dangerous or stupid. Also, he had a Mercedes convertible. (To be fair, so you don't think I'm totally shallow, I accepted the ride before I knew what kind of car he had.)

4. Things that annoy me, in no particular order, are: sappy movies (generally chick flicks but anything that hits you over the head to make you cry or laugh), Great Lash mascara (the biggest beauty marketing fraud foisted upon the mascara buying populace), Julie Andrews (I'm sure she's a very nice lady but I can't stand her films), people who can't write an intelligent sentence but have more money than God, and there's probably more here but this is all I can come up with right now without sounding angry or scary.

5. I read one book at least once a year and have been reading it ever since I was nine years old: A Wrinkle in Time. I am so sad I never met Madeleine L'Engle. I grew up to read her other books, her wonderful journals-- The Crosswicks Journals especially, but A Wrinkle in Time is a book that probably shaped my young personality and imagination more than any other.

6. I am pathologically on time and avoid being late to any event or occasion, not just because I want to get a good seat (if necessary), but also to avoid any chance of an embarassing situation or being rude. However I habitually pay my bills late and never seem to be able to send out a present before an occasion. I say this because I still have Christmas presents sitting here that need to go out. Luckily the people who are receiving these gifts still love me.

And here is a bonus Random Thing: 7. I was once dragged by a horse by my right ankle. Let's just say that the horse and I are no longer on speaking terms.

And with that, I have filled your coffers with Random Things and now pass the torch to Char, mrs. sarah ott, NamasteNancy, Heartbreak Tango, Cynthia/Oasis Writing Link, and Blissfully Unaware Lounge Singer.

Those of you I have not tagged, do not despair. It was either because 1. I think you might have been meme'd out already, or 2. you might be shy. However, if I'm off base on either one of these suppositions, by all means consider yourself tagged and do play along. Just be sure to let me know.

Now I am off to consider breakfast. xoxo

23 comments:

Mari December 27, 2008 at 9:23 AM  

Damn you're fast! Now I want to see your eyebrow handiwork...

I, for one, am getting tired of seeing women with eyebrows that are two hair widths. They look like the remnants in a forest after a beetle infestation.

Mari December 27, 2008 at 9:27 AM  

Also, I would like to sample your crack potatoes. Must search blog and see if the recipe exists...!

tangobaby December 27, 2008 at 9:32 AM  

Mari, I can do some damn perfect eyebrows. I have the whole geometry down and EVERYTHING.

And Jean Harlow is the only one who could pull off those thin, think brows. And maybe Myrna Loy, but that's it. Even Garbo's were kinda weird. Before I go off on an eyebrow tangent, here is the Crack Potato recipe, from the aptly titled "More Crack for Thanksgiving" post:

http://tangobaby2.blogspot.com/2008/11/as-preemptive-thanksgiving-giftpost-in.html

tangobaby December 27, 2008 at 9:34 AM  

I meant "thin," not "think."

I hate my typos. Must be the crack.

AssertiveWit December 27, 2008 at 10:30 AM  

your 7 random things were great..you and me could almost be twins...I too went to Cosmetology School; I didn't finish though...long story, but I got all the theory out the way and some of my floor hours...the things that annoy you ALSO annoy me...except for that Julie Andrews thing LOL

A Wrinkle in Time was a childhood favorite of mine and I have purposely not read it now that I am an adult because I don't want the thrill to be gone...

and your #6...me to a tee...told you, we could be twins LOL

did you know that Julie Andrews was the voice of Fiona's mother in Shrek? and if you hate Shrek, we all know why now LOL

rosedale's 4head December 27, 2008 at 10:33 AM  

Great blog. Love that you are from SF. My lil sis lives in North dist. Telegraph...I think. Hoity Toity place, but she's a humble one. Thanks for sharing all!

Yoli December 27, 2008 at 10:42 AM  

I cannot stop laughing, you crack me up woman. For stupid people with money watch Housewives of Atlanta or any of the housewives for that matter. I feel the same sadness that I will never meet Angela Carter that you do at not meeting L'Engle.

You mean you are not going to watch Sex and the City movie? That eternal chic flick? That qualifies and both fashion and Industrial Engineering!

Love you and love knowing these things about you.

Red Shoes December 27, 2008 at 10:42 AM  

Of COURSE you're the kind of girl who will write naughty words in big colorful letters on the sidewalk. You are nothing but sass! AND you know fun sciency things. Most excellent, TB, most excellent.

(For the record, the little verification thingee is asking me to write "mollbut".)

(I am in third grade, yes, thank you.)

An Unlikely Retirement December 27, 2008 at 11:20 AM  

#5 - I thought I was the only one who reread this once a year. It's one of my few traditions, but I'm so faithful!

Gabby December 27, 2008 at 11:30 AM  

Rock on, my sister from another mister! I am also pathologically punctual and can't "get" people who aren't. And, while someone once introduced me as an angel in a biker's body who secretly cries at Frank Capra movies, I do not. I have developed a hatred for Spielberg, who insists on inserting his message in 125 pt type during the last five minutes of every movie he makes, at Titanic, for lousing up some fabulous special effects with a moronic, sappy love story, and the list goes on. I have plenty of more rants, but this is your blog, after all. I suspect what I reveal about myself in mine can be embarrassingly personal, but it's what I have for now. My moderated word today is carasose, which doesn't turn up in a search, I have have decided it means someone who cares too much.

msHedgehog December 27, 2008 at 11:40 AM  

I can tell you about the crystalline structures of certain metals OR do your eyebrows to movie star perfection, depending on my mood.

That is what I like. Why should there be a contradiction? Useful knowledge is not to be neglected.

iasa December 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM  

Oh my, I've been tagged. Thank you Tangobaby. What a nice way to wake up.
Mission very nearly accomplished.

http://blunlosi.blogspot.com/2008/12/tag-im-it_27.html

Cynthia Pittmann December 27, 2008 at 1:52 PM  

Okay, tangobaby, I "told all" and tagged six-ish people. I don't know how you knew that I wasn't shy!

Brook December 27, 2008 at 3:39 PM  

It took me most of the day to figure out what a meme is. And I almost let a cosmetology student take me for her board exams and do who knows what with my then nearly waist length "virgin" hair but chickened out at the last minute. And I confess I sometimes wonder if having a lot of $ would make me as stupid as it seems to other people(surely not!) And my word is tablet, allowing me to get by without taxing my poor brain any further today!

rochambeau December 27, 2008 at 8:05 PM  

It's a pleasure getting to know you through your "random" facts Tango Baby. Isn't it fascinating, all the unique components that pull together and compose one completely unique individual? I love it!
Well,
HAPPY 2009!
May your heart continue to sing,
your feet dance and your finger tip fick that shutter of yours!!
xox
Constance

Anonymous December 28, 2008 at 1:11 AM  

Great post, you made me chuckle more than once :-) And hey, if I lived closer, I'd totally ask you to do my eyebrows, it's a job I hate doing!

paris parfait December 28, 2008 at 6:41 AM  

Ha ha, Miss Parker - this just confirms everything I already know about how smart, funny, naughty, wise-cracking, talented and clever you are. xoxox

P December 28, 2008 at 2:38 PM  

Couldn't agree more about Great Lash Mascara. HAVE NEVER understood why every beauty magazine extols the virtue of that black, clumpy nightmare.

vsm/whirling dirvish photography December 28, 2008 at 4:05 PM  

Wow, what an AWEsome blog... love the fluidity of your words... beautiful!

Also, I almost peed my panties at the annoyance of fruitful people that are obviously not the brightest crayon in the box. Hits a little close to home.

robin laws December 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM  

my dear i don't know why it happened or why i prepared for the possibility by saving my comment but i made this comment early yesterday and it has yet to show up on your post... so i am trying again....feel free to erase this top part if you wish before posting. or not :)

i have this habit of reading everything on your blog before i start to make any comments on particular posts... i don't know why i do that except perhaps i imagine you might be posting on a theme that will be best understood if read in sequence.. and i think that is probably true. take for instance this story about you having the two degrees.... if i had not known that already i would have referred someone erroneously to you as the "eyelash expert" or sent someone over here so they could learn about the physics of an oreo. but in fact i did know that from careful reading of your blog. so those referrals were well made. and both parties benefited from your education i might add.
on the other hand i didn't know about your love for madeleine l'engle. This is very endearing. As you know (from reading my blog carefully) rachel is a librarian and her all time most beloved author is also madeleine l'engle. i am ashamed to say i have not read the wrinkle in time but i must do that!

i don't if you want to hear this or maybe you will be glad to hear this but you are never, ever scary. you're daring, outrageous, irreverent almost all the time but never scary. that's a good thing :)

uhoh... now i have comment on the post about belatedly acknowledged blogging awards which i am painfully guilty of. and i see you tagged me too :) i have a bulging folder of wonderful awards of 2008 (none of which are the Sarah Siddons or Heisman trophy awards either)...perhaps a new years resolution is to get them up on my blog shelf.
XOX love you girl!

Char December 28, 2008 at 5:09 PM  

did and done!

christina December 28, 2008 at 7:32 PM  

Dang, I really need my eyebrows done! I always do. : )

xxoo

Frieda Babbley January 1, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

I LOVE "A Wrinkle in Time"! In fact it is one book I refuse to read out loud to my kids during the summers. It's one of those books I insist they read on their own when they're ready for it.

Hmm. I never would have thought. Thanks for sharing.