julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The real reason why I signed up for Twitter.

These little guys.

***

I had to laugh at one of the first emails I got after people could see that I had finally left my judgemental ivory tower and registered with Twitter. It was from my darling little Chipmonkey, asking if I was feeling okay because she had gotten an email that meant I was either ill or else someone was sending out a hoax email purportedly from me.

I had to tell her that I really did sign up for Twitter, all by myself, after all of my endless high horseness and anti-social networking attitude. After all, aren't blogs enough?

***

But here is the real reason I signed up: for K and the kids. When the story first started picking up lots of views and attention way back in April (gosh, that seems so long ago!), people were so kind to twitter this for me and truly great things happened. Because I didn't want to Twitter myself, and couldn't see why I needed to do it if other people were doing it for me, I just let things run themselves and it worked out just fine. I figured it was enough to have other people do it for me, and it was.

You guys kept this family safe, off the streets, with a place to sleep and food to eat and clothes and medicine. YOU did it.

All we need to do is get to August 1, when her situation will most likely improve financially (fingers crossed). However, until that time:

Our piggy bank is almost empty.

We have enough cash to last another week or so, but we will need about $700 more to keep us going until August, unless they get into their new apartment by then. I know you all have done so much already, so it's hard to ask one more time for help, but I'm asking.

If you can donate something, the PayPal button is still in the sidebar. You'll be helping us get that little extra push across the finish line. We've come so far.

Thank you.

xoxo

9 comments:

will July 7, 2009 at 6:18 AM  

I just read a news story about the influence of Twitter. Apparently, Ashton Kutcher has over 250,000 people who follow his Twit notes. And he recently Twitted a "warning" that Airbus jets were unsafe unless they fixed something or other. I guess Airbus is seeing this as a major PR problem. Because those 250,000 people are in turn Twitting to others what Kutcher said.

So, there is something to say about what can be done with Twitter.

Andi July 7, 2009 at 7:26 AM  

Finally! Welcome to Twit-world! I have another blog Twitter Go To Gal at http://www.twittergotogal.com if you need some tips and hints! I am glad we made it to the home stretch with K and the kids. Just add more money to the coffers! What you have done is nothing less than fantabulous!

Anonymous July 7, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

Oh! It is so awesome to see you on Twitter. Twitter is such an amazing utility for a blogger.

Gabby July 7, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

I am a luddite, I guess. Was the last of all my pals and family to get a cell phone. I recently stopped going to facebook because a pal would post what he had for breakfast, etc., and I had to read through pages of gunk to find anything worthwhile. Plus, I have resisted texting, which sort of kills off the buzz of tweeting. And, I've done an amazing job of avoiding what I really want to say about it.

christina July 7, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

I thought it was a terrible joke. I came over here to tell you all about, the twitter people telling lies. Oh, but it's true.
; )

Chipmonkey July 7, 2009 at 5:05 PM  

Oh magic! I just found that there was a balance in my paypal account from who knows what/when. I figured if I didn't know it was there I could probably live without it :) Yay for strawberry money!

xoxoxox

Yoli July 7, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

Thank you for coming down from your ivory tower my Queen! LOL.

Mary-Laure July 7, 2009 at 7:44 PM  

I left the ivory tower recently too.

That picture of the kids is just wonderful.

Kelly Kilmer July 7, 2009 at 11:21 PM  

No No, Julie. Thank YOU for being there for them!!!