julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Gavito y Geraldine



Laura, my new birthday-sharing sister in Argentina, sent me this link. She is an admirer of the late Gavito.

Although the energy of the dancing is wonderful and I'll watch their movements over and over again, I love how they are both laughing and looking like they're having such a fantastic time.

Update: Oops, just realized that Tango Junkie linked to this video too, a few weeks ago. But he had a lovely post, Make Her Look Beautiful, to go with it. You know what though...this video is so great that it's worth watching many times.

6 comments:

Anonymous October 3, 2007 at 11:27 PM  

Hey Miss Eyelashes,
Gavito was an amazing, talented, passionate man. I was fortunate to have taken some privates with him. He LOVED to do that puente move (I think in the video he did about 17 with Geraldine), and did one with me, let go of me, and did a calecita. Then declared I had perfect balance :-)

He was also famous for his rants about Tango being about "walking", and "feeling", not about "steps", and hated that folks here filled every second with movement and not a single pause. Then he would do an entire Tango with nothing but the basic step, an ocho or two, and 10-15 puentes thrown in for good measure.

Colbay October 4, 2007 at 2:15 AM  

Wow. That was beautiful... I, too, really enjoyed the dynamic between them most. Laughter is so important. Being able to laugh, for me, during a night of dancing means that there's comfort, trust, and a deeper exchange between the leader and follower.

Thanks for sharing... how are you doing? I pulled a long day/night aujourd'hui... and am going to bed.

You feeling better? La Pista tomorrow/today?

tangobaby October 4, 2007 at 12:34 PM  

Miss Eyelashes...hey, I like that.
What a wonderful experience (and compliment!) to remember. The day someone (anyone) tells me I have perfect balance, I'll be over the moon with joy! I'm glad you had the opportunity to dance with such a master.

tangobaby October 4, 2007 at 12:37 PM  

Colbay,

I agree with you about the laughter. Or even a smile sometimes. Aren't we all so serious looking at times?

I am feeling better. I think I'm pulling through. If my energy holds out today, I'd love to see you at La Pista. But you know me, I turn into a pumpkin well before midnight anyway, so get there early!

xo

Anonymous October 5, 2007 at 10:36 PM  

my red shoes look exactly like that.

she is such a copy-cat.

;)

tangobaby October 5, 2007 at 11:23 PM  

I heard her talking about you in the locker room the other day. She's totally jealous of you.

Nuit, go to SLEEP!