julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, October 1, 2007

I See Dakar, I See Vienna

I may be giving you too much information about my age here, but for all of you who watched Romper Room when you were a kid, I'm going to bet that your favorite part of the show was when the Magic Mirror came out.

The Magic Mirror was this plastic frame with nothing in it. The teacher held the Magic Mirror, through which she could "see" us out there at in the home TV audience.

"Romper, bomper, stomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic mirror, tell me today. Have all my friends had fun at play?" She would call out the names of those lucky kids: "I see Jimmy and Suzie and Kevin and Katie!"


I was of the Miss Mary Ann era. I couldn't wait for her to call out my name. (She never did. Oh, the crushing disappointment, and the eternal hope that next time she would see me.)

Now I have my own Magic Mirror. It's called Site Meter.

Not to freak you out like I'm Big Brother or anything (the government takes care of that for me already), but I love to see your visits to me on Site Meter. There's this super cool little map thing where I can see you all out there in blogland. (Don't worry, I can't really see you. I just see little dots where your ISP is.)

I was going under the assumption for quite a while that I was the only one who read my blog, and I was okay with that. I really love this little blog, and I guess I'd be writing it no matter what.

But now I look at this map and I see people all over the world, just stopping by to say hello and take virtual tea with me. People from Australia, England, Nepal (!), Poland, Ireland, France, our great states of California, Florida, Texas, New York...and of course, Argentina. And those are just the ones I remember right now.

So, mostly, I just want to say Thanks! And Hello! And Bienvenue! And Hola! And
Dia Duit! And Ohayou gozaimasu!... I'm glad you're out there. Makes this world seem a little smaller and a lot more friendly.


9 comments:

Anonymous October 1, 2007 at 11:35 PM  

Actually my favorite part of Romper Room was when the Gumby and Pokey claymation came on. :)

tangobaby October 2, 2007 at 10:42 AM  

OMG! Yes, yes! I forgot about Gumby and Pokey! And Gumby got us ready for Mr. Bill and Sluggo when we were a bit older.

;-)

Maybe my next post should be about Captain Kangaroo.

tangobaby October 2, 2007 at 10:46 AM  

Oh, and hello Greece! Hello Bangladesh! Hello North Carolina, Washington DC, New York, Georgia, Oregon and Ohio! Have a great day!

Anonymous October 2, 2007 at 10:50 AM  

wordpress doesn't have that! i can't see where people are coming from... i can't even see if any venetians are visiting my site... :(

Anonymous October 2, 2007 at 10:56 AM  

Nuit, I'm shocked at you! You seemed like SUCH a techie. Until Now. Site Meter is an external program you can add to your site (http://www.sitemeter.com/).

TB, I grew up in Mexico and we didn't get Romper Room :-( I only caught glimpses of it when I visited my relatives in the US once a year. But I do remember the magic mirror and wondered how the heck she did that.

Thanks for the memories.

Anonymous October 2, 2007 at 11:57 AM  

Oooooo!!! Romper Room! YYESS!!!

:-) I just needed to inerject that. :-)

Anonymous October 2, 2007 at 2:07 PM  

johanna! i got sitemeter!!! :-D

i landed in the states when i was 12. so maybe i missed out on the magic mirror. :( it sounds like a show i would have LOVED...

tangobaby October 2, 2007 at 3:09 PM  

Nuit,

Yeah, if you were watching Romper Room when you were 12, we'd be a little worried about you. It's for preschoolers.

Congratulations on getting Site Meter! You'll be obsessed with it as soon as it starts collecting data.

Anonymous October 3, 2007 at 5:11 PM  

Nuit, you can actually get a version of it that shows the world map :-)

Incidentally, I grew up in Mexico (moved there when I was 3), so when I moved back here, there was a whole cultural vacuum that when referred to would just cause me to draw a blank stare. People couldn't believe it because I look and sound like a perfectly normal "American"...

What do you mean, you never saw "My Mother the Car"???!!!!