julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Rusty

Well, maybe not Tin Man rusty. But I was squeaky.

My first class and milonga after the hiatus. The class was great. Ney, of course. Friendly faces I had missed seeing, and more leaders than followers. That's nice for a change.

El V, friendly and crowded but not my night. I broke my milonga rule and danced a partial tanda of milongas with someone I didn't know and hadn't seen dance milonga before. I'm glad I made it out with all of my toes, but I had to cut and run after the third song. It just wasn't a good match. He was really hard to follow and didn't seem to notice he was dragging me all over the floor.

It's amazing when you haven't worn heels for two weeks how quickly your feet can start to hurt. It's like I'll have to break them in again and remind them to toughen up.

All in all, it was just great to be out, and the best part was just being with friendly company, chatting and listening to the music. Some people asked where I had been, and told me they had missed me. That was sweet, and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Tonight it was totally okay to have a less-than-perfect dancing night. I'm in this for the long haul--tango will be here tomorrow, too.

I just have to find my oil can and get some of the squeaks out.

8 comments:

Unknown January 16, 2008 at 2:00 AM  

love the vintage wiz poster. haven't seen that one before.

Anonymous January 16, 2008 at 8:59 AM  

Ah, yes. Rusty is my middle name these days. I hear you squeaking, loud and clear :-)

Pass the oil...

studio wellspring January 16, 2008 at 11:17 AM  

ahem, lady ~ maybe on the inside you felt rusty {or was it "kinky" after all of ney's chi-chi commentary in class?} but from the observer's point of view you looked smooth as silk. plus that harem of admiring men you collected around you all evening was photo worthy ~ i just wish i had my camera there to capture it. ;o)

msHedgehog January 16, 2008 at 12:02 PM  

Have a warm fuzzy from me as well, I'm glad you're better.

Milonga - I love milonga, but only with a clue! Otherwise it's frog-in-a-blendersville.

Red Shoes January 16, 2008 at 1:13 PM  

You looked decidedly non-rusty from where I was sitting!

tangobaby January 16, 2008 at 1:36 PM  

Hi Octavine,

Thanks for visiting my blog. That is a fun image, isn't it? It's amazing what you can google at 1am when you can't sleep. Your work is lovely. I'm going to visit your Etsy shop and perhaps you've got a new customer!

Johanna,

I knew you would understand...I can't find the oil, but I still owe you a blush, don't I?

Ms. Wellspring,

People are going to think that I pay you to say nice things about me. (I'm going to have to give you a raise.)

Can you have a harem of men? I thought harems were only women (and a couple of eunuchs thrown in for good measure). Someday I want to be like Scarlett O'Hara in that scene at Tara when all the men wanted to get her a lemonade. But all of these guys will want to dance with me.

Hola Ms. Hedgehog,

Thank you for the warm fuzzy. I am collecting them. ;-)

Milongas to me are either sheer joy or sheer terror. Usually I get the joy.

Ms. Red Shoes,

You looked decidedly sexy and pretty. And your tattoo is so damn cool. Thank you for coming over to find me. I should have stayed with you and just soaked in your quiet sweetness.

xo

Red Shoes January 16, 2008 at 3:57 PM  

I think if it's men, it's a "stable". Whee!

And, thanks. *blush*

tangobaby January 16, 2008 at 3:59 PM  

Ha! A stable!

You are very witty today, my dear.
And pretty. Keep blushing.

;-)