julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Flunked

Today I failed the Flower Test at work. It's the first time I've done that since I started working here.

When I started this job, I did not realize that the owner of our company is famous. But I am not an interior designer--it's not my world.

It would be like if you got a job working for Pablo Veron (you can insert another famous name here if you want) and you didn't know anything about tango, and then you discovered that the mention of your boss's name made other random people raise an eyebrow or speak reverently, in hushed tones.

I just think it's funny though how some of the people who work here (I can't speak for the whole world of interior design) get really intense (read: bitchy) about certain things that don't matter a whole heck of a lot in the big scheme. A few people can get very Norma Desmond-y in this office. Or a little Devil Wears Prada-y. You just have to laugh. But not in front of them, of course.

When I started working here, I was warned about having to buy flowers when VIP clients come into the office. They can't just be flowers, they must be flowers. They must speak to us somehow.

I'm not a complete dummy. I don't buy mums or carnations, or even roses. (They don't like roses.) I buy interesting flowers, nothing too bright or fragrant or flowery. I find flowers with texture.

Today's flowers did not make the cut (the normal people here liked them). In fact, they were banished from the front table when I wasn't looking. But now the flowers are sitting by my computer. They are fluffy and white and they smell really fantastic. It smells like springtime at my desk. And they totally block my vision of the drama queeny person who sneered at them in the first place.

6 comments:

Anonymous January 31, 2008 at 8:19 PM  

The drama queen clearly needs to get... boleo'd...

tangobaby January 31, 2008 at 9:34 PM  

:-D

Can guys get boleo'd?!!!

He certainly needs something...not sure if a boleo would be enough...

Johanna, you crack me up. I'm sure I've said that before.

nitey nite.

Anonymous February 1, 2008 at 2:53 AM  

Guys can be the recipients of wayward boleos!

An accurately placed heel would be more than enough. Ouch!!!

Anonymous February 1, 2008 at 8:59 AM  

Yes, I've heard. Super Glue works great on cracks :-)

If not a boleo, certainly a gancho.

studio wellspring February 1, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

have you ever noticed how we are the beautiful, real, charming, non *affected* book-ends of the great white office? well, i have. and i'm proud to be your polar mirror. and i love your flower choice.

tangobaby February 1, 2008 at 11:35 AM  

Dear David and Johanna,

You two are very naughty. I don't know that I can get close enough to him to effect such a move, but today he came over to my desk and we chatted for a while about food.

Actually, I really love him and getting quietly dissed by a fabulous gay man is a secret thrill for me.

***

Ms. Wellspring,

It has given me a silent pleasure to know that our long office is bounded by keepers of the tango, and other assorted fabulousnesses.

I'm sorry I can't see you right now all the way down there because the flowers are blocking my view. But I know you are there so that is a comfort, always.