julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, March 24, 2008

The Pandora Experiment

"Cagigal is one of those rare alchemists of the imagination... [this is] a show that'll change viewers' estimation of magic forever." -- SFStation

I just went to see a great magic show called The Pandora Experiment on Friday night at the Exit Theatre on Eddy Street. It's much more of a participatory experience than just a magic show, and Christian creates a most charming, fairytale space in which he performs his act. I don't want to go into too much detail because if you're in the SF Bay Area, I really want you to see this show while it's still running.

The truth about really good magicians like Christian is that they don't need the televisions programs, the flashy sets, dry ice, live animals and disappearing city landmarks that most people associate with magic shows. An excellent closeup magician can perform an effect right under your nose and you'll have no other inclination than to be completely amazed. Not even the best televised performance can compete with what is happening, or not really happening, before your own eyes.

Christian is also a gifted mentalist which, if you haven't seen a mentalist or don't know what one is, then you are in for a treat.

Here are some recent glowing reviews of The Pandora Experiment from Christian's blog: here, here , here and here.

Below are two great clips that give you an preview of Christian and how talented he is. I hope you will go and see this show. It's playing at the Exit Theatre through April 12.







6 comments:

Anonymous March 25, 2008 at 4:40 AM  

My favourite magician is Gob Bluth from Arrested Development ;-)

'But where did the lighter fluid come from?' Hehehe.

Seriously, that show looks cool.

Mary-Laure March 25, 2008 at 11:08 AM  

Ah, I wish I were in San Francisco, not only because I LOVE California but also because I'd really like to see the play.
The top picture is so intriguing...

studio wellspring March 25, 2008 at 11:38 AM  

oh i so wish i could have joined you ~ but my southern belle cousin took precedence. i will have to find a way to make it to his show before he disappears.

tangobaby March 25, 2008 at 1:32 PM  

Hi Christie,

I don't know who that is...I'll have to look him up. Thank goodness for Youtube. I never saw Arrested Development, but I know people are addicted to it.

Hi Mary-Laure,

I wish you were in SF too because then I would take you as my guest. I LOVE YOUR BLOG. I am totally addicted now and have added you to my blogroll. I just took your little Jane Austen quiz, too. I am Marianne.

;-)

Hi Ms. Wellspring,

I would totally go with you if you want. I would see the show again. Let me know if you have time soon.

paris parfait March 25, 2008 at 2:53 PM  

Oh, you have been so lucky with seeing great performances lately! Thanks for the tip for future reference.

tangobaby March 26, 2008 at 10:31 AM  

Hi Paris Parfait,

I know, there is so much to do here (maybe not like Paris, but we do try).

Perhaps when you come out here, Christian's show will be playing again! I hope so. You would love it, based on all of your love of antiques and all of your brocante activities.