julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, May 31, 2008

My First YouTubing

Do you remember the day you discovered YouTube? The day you watched your first YouTube video and realized that a whole new world of couch potato-dom stretched out langorously before you? Before all the tango videos and getting smart enough to post your own videos, when you still weren't exactly sure how the whole thing worked?

Now YouTube is so engrained in our day-to-day lives that it's hard to imagine a time when we didn't have it. I would like to say that the first video I ever watched was a tango performance, but I can't.

This is the first video I watched on YouTube, the video that cracked my world wide open. I think I laughed myself into a dead faint.

Disclaimer: DO NOT watch this video if you:

1. Don't want to hear the F-word repeatedly and are easily offended;
2. Don't want to see beloved original Star Trek* series clips used out of context and will be offended;
3. Have no sense of humor and are easily offended.



* I am a die-hard devotee of the only true Star Trek series, and that's the one with Kirk and Spock. Please do NOT try to convince me that Captain Picard and his gang of PC losers actually count.

I realize the above statement and the video might destroy leagues of devoted readers of tangobaby, but I have to take that risk and be honest with you in things that are meaningful and important. I know some of you are going to think that I am seriously deranged. I sincerely apologize for any confusion.

5 comments:

Greg May 31, 2008 at 7:13 PM  

OG Star Trek was a hallmark of my youth. I had the shirt they used to sell at the mall, the little figures (still do!) and the USS Enterprise Bridge playset. Oh and in 4th grade I was spock, complete with homemade ears made out of medical tape.

Now that I've put on The Google I was a nerd and ensured the joke that has been following me in my hometown is on The Google, let me just say that OG Star Trek still rocks.

I eventually liked some of TNG and Ds9, bits and pieces, esp. since as we know now DS9 was co-authored by the guy who made BSG so teh awesome, but yeah, I agree with JJ Abrams when he said "Original Star Trek was all about adventure and possibilities, and it's time to get back to that".

Oh and the K/S slash video? Frakking awesome. I'm not a devotee of said genre but I appreciate something good when I see it.

Now if I could just get my gosh-darned Larry David-esque video to work about the foibles of the N Judah, I'd be all set.

Rock on tangobaby, your blog is so much fun to read. :-)

Psyche May 31, 2008 at 10:17 PM  

Not a bad video. You know, it's not a joke - Spock and Kirk were the birth of slash.

I'm impressed you remember your first YouTube. I have no idea what mine was. It may well have been tango - I remember my teacher packing me off to watch Chicho and Arce.

Anonymous June 1, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this post, tangobaby; for sharing this, your first YouTube video experience (which, by the way, is quite wonderful) and for sharing this side of your self.

It's all just so... tubular!

tangobaby June 3, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

Hi greg,

I have to admit that it took me a moment to figure out what "OG" meant. My extremely strong blinders refuse to allow me to accept any other Star Trek series as worthy of the name. Even though I think Patrick Stewart is a stellar actor and I loved him in I, Claudius.

I will share some of my geekdom with you so you don't feel left out in the cold on The Google. Although I did not have a t-shirt or the toys, I do think now (in hindsight) that I married a Russian guy due to my infatuation with Mr. Chekhov.

It didn't dawn on me until just now, but I think I wasted all of that money on therapy after I got divorced, exploring parent's marriage, when instead I should have evaluated my love of Star Trek and how it has impacted my life.

And, I even liked the first ST movie.

Perhaps when I see you, we can relive the highlights of Wrath of Khan together.

Hi Psyche,

You are so much smarter than me in many ways. Not only can you embed links in your comments (Ms. Hedgehog has valiantly tried to explain how to do this for me) but you also know what slash is and I had not even heard of that until now. I just thought it was made by crazy people.

As for remembering my first youtube video, it's no feat to be proud of, but I do think you'll agree that this is a video that would be hard to forget?

Hi upfromthedeep,

You are getting very Moon Unit on me...

;-)

Nancy Ewart October 10, 2008 at 7:51 PM  

This is a hoot! I remember the days (back when God was a child) when slash zines were passed around under the counter at cons and we went to special video conventions to see stuff that people put up casually on uTube. I remember the original of this - or one like it. Like psyche said, Kirk/Spock were the first slash couple - quickly followed by Starsky and Hutch. In fact, there are some die-hard slash fans out there that are still writing about those two. LOL!