julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, June 30, 2008

Don't Mess with Zoo Animals in The Netherlands

Now this is my kind of giraffe! A Vigilante Giraffe!

***

From the AP:

(06-30) 13:06 PDT AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) --

Amsterdam police say 15 camels, two zebras and an undetermined number of llamas and potbellied swine briefly escaped from a traveling Dutch circus after a giraffe kicked a hole in their cage.


Police spokesman Arnout Aben says the animals wandered in a group through a nearby neighborhood for several hours after their 5:30 a.m. breakout.


The animals were back at the circus later Monday after being rounded up by police and circus workers with the assistance of dogs. Aben says neighbors fed some of the animals — which he said was a bad idea — but they were tame and nobody was hurt.

Says Aben: "You have to imagine somebody rubbing his eyes first thing in the morning and saying, 'Am I seeing things or is that 15 camels walking past?'"


***

PS. These photos are not of the Vigilante Giraffe. They are photos I took at the SF Zoo a few months ago. But I liked being able to use them in a post, because it's not every day that you can just say to someone: "Hey, want to see some cute photos of giraffes that I just took?"
And because The Boy really, really likes giraffes.

17 comments:

Anonymous June 30, 2008 at 7:02 PM  

This is hilarious! It looks like a scene directly out of Peggy Rathman's masterpiece "Good Night, Gorilla"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0399230033/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link

Please tell The Boy, he's not the only one who really, really likes giraffes.

Relyn Lawson June 30, 2008 at 7:31 PM  

Ooo, Dutchbaby is right, it does look like "Good Night, Gorilla"! Giraffes are my favorite animal. Their eyes are so beautiful. They should look awkward and gawky and somehow they are gorgeous and compelling. I love them!

Debbi June 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM  

what a punk rock giraffe! great story! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous June 30, 2008 at 8:50 PM  

That is just too cute! Can't you just picture the bunch taking a tour of the neighborhood? And they all stuck together. Awwwwwwwww.

Anonymous June 30, 2008 at 11:01 PM  

wow, i really want to know how big the hole was. i'm imagining the small head of a giraffe and then all these huge animals tearing the small hole into something much more their body's size. and then i'm thinking...what sort of will it must take for a zoo animal to escape. does it understand that its escaping? does it think its taking a risk? wow, i'm quite intrigued. either way, thats one badass giraffe. way to lead the rebellion!

Anonymous July 1, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

That's so cute that they all stuck together. Awwwww.

Anonymous July 1, 2008 at 9:46 AM  

(Wow, Johanna and I must think alike!)

paris parfait July 1, 2008 at 11:13 AM  

So cute! Once I saw a camel crossing the street at Columbus Circle in New York. He was being led by a trainer, for a film in production nearby. But we didn't know that when we saw it. :) xoxox

tangobaby July 1, 2008 at 1:51 PM  

You guys are all so fun! I loved each and every one of your comments. I will pass your regards along to the local giraffes here when I see them.

(Relyn, I'm totally with you about giraffe eyes. They have the BEST eyelashes EVER.)

christina July 1, 2008 at 2:38 PM  

Giraffes are just sheer beauty. This is so sweet!

Sarah P. Miller July 1, 2008 at 3:08 PM  

The best part about that entire thing? "An undetermined number of llamas." Cracking my ass up.

femme.fotographie July 1, 2008 at 4:03 PM  

Hey pare!

My new sassy blog crush is here! Welcome!

I have to hand it to you. I was so busy picturing those reform school giraffes kicking giant zebra-sized holes in the cage that I totally missed the part about the llamas.

Thank you for bringing that factoid to my attention. That reportage is so Monty Pythonesque.

It also makes me wonder what kind of grade average you need to get into journalism school these days.

tangobaby July 1, 2008 at 4:06 PM  

Hi Pare (again),

I didn't mean to confuse the hell out of you, but I have two blogger accounts now due to my second mania with photography and so sometimes I forget who I am when I am writing comments.

So I really am tangobaby, and you probably already figured that out anyway since you are younger and smarter than I am.

Mary-Laure July 2, 2008 at 7:14 AM  

I adore giraffes. They are so very graceful...

tangobaby July 2, 2008 at 9:24 AM  

Hi Mary-Laure,

Perhaps you might encounter these very same giraffes (of the story) if you are still in Amsterdam? If so, please tell them we think they are very courageous and we applaud their attitude!

Sarah P. Miller July 3, 2008 at 12:08 PM  

Femme Tango: younger, yes, smarter, unlikely, but usually drunk, which negates all else, so no worries.

Also: llamas in any number are completely obSCENE.

tangobaby July 3, 2008 at 3:09 PM  

Hi pare,

Okay, so we'll call it a draw (love the Femme Tango name too, BTW).

But I'm not sure what you have against llamas. Is it because they spit? They have nice eyes.