julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, June 20, 2008

"Night and Day Wango Tango"

What do these two men have in common?




Ted Nugent


***


Give up?


***


I don't think there's a good answer.


It's a trick question.


***


Last night The Boy tried to convince me to go to The Fillmore with him to see Ted Nugent. I had an idea that I do not like Ted Nugent, but since I could not name any of his songs, I couldn't say exactly why I do not like him.


First, The Boy said, "You know, he's the guy who sang Cat Scratch Fever." (And then he sang the riff and played his air guitar: Nah nah nah-nah!)


That was not enough to convince me.


Then he thought I might want to go, "not to listen to the music, but to see the historic Fillmore." (Playing on my love of history and historic places. The Fillmore was host to all the great legends of rock. The Who's playing there? You bet. Cream? Sure. The Doors? Absolutely.)


Nice angle. No dice.


I stayed home and futzed around with my photos and enjoyed Clark Gable razzing Claudette Colbert in It Happened One Night. (I like it when he calls her "Brat.") And The Boy went off alone, dressed in his concert garb (black tee shirt) to hopefully scalp his extra ticket and see "The Nuge."


***


This morning I got the lowdown on the show. Apparently the audience who goes to see The Nuge is not incredibly diverse. "A bunch of white guys who look like car mechanics" and about "twelve women" who absolutely did not register on any Babe-ometer. I am not going to describe them.


I'm sure you can imagine my relief at not having gone, even to admire the historic Bill Graham posters.


When I asked The Boy to tell me a little more about the music, he said that this music "is the kind you would listen to if you were in an army tank." And he played me some songs. I think he's right. We tried to dance to The Nuge. (It's impossible.)


The Boy said, "You know, it's funny how I really like Cole Porter, too."


I told him that it's the sign of a crazy person to be able to hold two diametrically opposed things in one's mind at the same time and like them both equally, and after he stopped laughing, he said, "You're going to miss me when I'm gone."


***


I have decided that I would play Hoagy Carmichael in my tank. Or maybe some Benny Goodman with Gene Krupa on the drums.



Someone else can have The Nuge for their tank.

7 comments:

paris parfait June 20, 2008 at 3:07 PM  

You are so funny - I wouldn't have fallen over backwards trying to see Ted Nugent either. But he was huge way back when - especially Cat Scratch Fever. Nope, not a fan. Give me Cole Porter any day in my tank. :) xoxox

tangobaby June 20, 2008 at 3:33 PM  

"In your tank!" lol!

We'd be one hell of an army, you and me!

xoxo!

Relyn Lawson June 20, 2008 at 7:56 PM  

When I saw this post, my first thought about Ted Nugent was, "Geez, isn't he dead yet?" Bad, hunh? Cole Porter is great and I adore Hoagy Carmichael. For my tank's playlist, I would also have to have some Nat and some Frank. Happy weekend.

Annie Jeffries June 20, 2008 at 10:48 PM  

Car mechanics, non-babes, and Cole Porter all wrapped up in one post. This is too funny. Love it and doesn't it just go to prove that it's always good to follow your gut feelings.

Red Shoes June 21, 2008 at 7:33 AM  

Can I ride in your tank? I'll bring my Rachmaninov records.

FogBay June 21, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

Reasons not to see Ted Nugent:

1. His music.

2. His claim we should have "Nagasaki-ed" Iraq, his elaborate steps taken to avoid the Vietnam draft, his deep admiration and friendship with Bush, his diatribes aimed against the Fund for Animals and PETA, his onstage remarks that Obama and Hillary should "suck on my machine gun."

3. His music.

John Smith July 6, 2008 at 1:58 PM  

What do Porter and the Nuge have in common?

Both right wing Republicans.

There.