julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

To see with reverence and devotion

Darśana (Darshan) is a Sanskrit term meaning "sight" (in the sense of an instance of seeing or beholding; from a root dṛś "to see"), vision, apparition, or glimpse. ~ from Wikipedia.

***
.
I am still coasting on my high from Sunday. So much so that the energy and excitement seems to have drained the creativity from me.
.
I have been coasting: no words, no images. What's with that? Mostly, I think it's a function of not having the time or the freedom. Relegating your creativity to the shards of the day, like the beginnings or the ends of a loaf of bread--not a perfect situation.
.
I know for most of us who feel the need to run away, to live in a garret somewhere, to have the ability to express ourselves creatively whenever we want to, that many of us do not have that luxury.
.
But if we did have that luxury, would we? Or would the creative endeavour just become another occupation, like sitting at a desk and working on spreadsheets? Would we stir ourselves? Would we rise to the occasion?
.
I hope we would.
.
***
.
I am finding more and more that to write, to take a photo that says something, to make something with the hands--when you get that feeling, you must jump immediately before the spark leaves just as quickly as it arrived. You cannot hold that impulse and save it for later.
.
Right now I am wishing for a tiny bit of that sweetness of seeing, and hope that perhaps I can take just one perfect picture today, to see just one thing with reverence and devotion...at lunch during my allotted time, my little island of me.
.
That will tide me over.
.
I think.
***
.
"When people go to work, they shouldn't have to leave their hearts at home." ~ Betty Bender

7 comments:

Anonymous June 18, 2008 at 3:44 PM  

Part of the secret, TB, is making the mental space for those special moments. The fact that you are, and directing the Universe to help you in this quest, means those moments will be at your beck and call.

Christian Cagigal June 18, 2008 at 4:23 PM  

Well, you did take like 300 great photo's this weekend...maybe you're creative side just needs a break....

Sometimes we need to sit back and intake art while or before we create.

So chill of for a day or two. Don't think about it. You might be surprised when it comes surging right back at you ...( usually at 1 o clock in the morning when you just want to sleep.)

tangobaby June 19, 2008 at 9:20 AM  

Hi Johanna,

I think I'll look at it your way instead. I did have a few yesterday...before I ran out of batteries! Oy.

Hi Christian,

The thing you don't know about me (yet) is that I am an experience junkie. Once I find something I like, love, etc., it's hard for me to easily take a break from it unless I am forced to. Or until I run out of batteries.

;-)

paris parfait June 19, 2008 at 2:41 PM  

Amen. And your Paris photo has to wait until tomorrow (desole) as today I was glued to the laptop, working on the book. My body doesn't feel very happy about that, but my creative side feels a tiny sense of achievement. :) xoxox

Phyllis Hunt McGowan June 19, 2008 at 6:39 PM  

Well, I enjoy your writing, and I enjoy your words immensely. I think sometimes if words don't come easily it's for a reason. Not because we've run out of things to say but because perhaps it's our mind's way of telling us to pause and look for a while, to just see things, not say anything but just to see.

Phyllis Hunt McGowan June 19, 2008 at 6:40 PM  

That should be, "I enjoy your writing and your photos."
Hmmm. Maybe I should have stopped to SEE my comment before I sent it.

tangobaby June 20, 2008 at 12:03 PM  

Dear Paris Parfait,

Whether it's the book (!) or a photo, I know that any creative endeavour of yours I will love. I know you will take a photo for me soon.

Dear TheElementary,

You just make me smile. It never stops. Keep writing words, lots of them, and I will always see them and enjoy them!