julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, June 14, 2008

A Message from Little Helen

For those of you who were so sweet to write a comment recently on my post, "The Ejection Fraction of Love," I wanted to give you an update on how your kind words and thoughts really helped.

The day before yesterday, I talked to my mom and she and my grandma were at the doctor's again, for another round of tests. My grandma is out of the hospital and has been staying with my mom, but it seems like the docs still haven't really figured out Grandma's medications and she really isn't feeling that well yet.

They were sitting in the waiting room and my mom was whispering in the phone to me. I could hear the tiredness and frustration in her voice. She told me that Grandma has been crying--she's just so tired of being sick, and she's frightened.

I told my mom that as soon as they got back home, that she should read Grandma the post I had written about her, not so much my story, but to see all of the wonderful comments that YOU had written back.

So she did.

***

I talked with my grandma last night after work, to check in with her. I asked her if Mom had read the post and your comments to her, and immediately her voice brightened. She was SO happy--really, she was. I told her that people wrote to her from Paris and New York and the Phillipines and Scotland and Morocco and all over the USA, and I could hear the astonishment and wonder in her voice, unmasked.

I asked her if she wanted to dictate a personal message that I could post on her behalf, and this is what Grandma wanted you to know:

"Hello, all you wonderful people out there in the world. Thank you so much for your wonderful messages. You made me so happy. You have no idea how much they helped to perk up an old lady! I am so grateful that you cared about me and wrote to me. You made me feel so much better. Thank you from the bottom of my heart."

So, my friends, what can I add to that, except thank you from the bottom of my heart, too.

***

PS. Setting the historical record straight: Grandma wanted you to know that she was three years old when that photo was taken, and that her mother made her dress and knitted her little socks. The dress was made of black velvet.

She doesn't know for sure if she won any money in the Beautiful Child contest, but she did win a little trophy. At some point, burglars broke into the house and stole the trophy (!) and her mother was heartbroken. So my grandma never remembered seeing the trophy because it all happened when she was so young, but she's still very proud of the photo and is super thrilled you liked it, too.

12 comments:

Mary-Laure June 14, 2008 at 5:42 AM  

YAY, she's back home! Take good care of her to make her stronger!
Grandmas are precious.

studio wellspring June 14, 2008 at 9:39 AM  

how heartwarming. i adore your grandma already, and i've never even met her.

Anonymous June 14, 2008 at 10:02 AM  

Tell Grandma Helen that I'm happy she's back home where she belongs. My love to her, and you, your niece, and all the rest of your family.

Anonymous June 14, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

I cannot sufficiently underscore the power of thoughts and wishes, even from people you don't know. It's what got me through my ordeal. How wonderful that a few seconds of pressing fingers on keyboards can have such an uplifting effect.

christina June 14, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

There's no place like home. I'm so glad she has her family :)

Vanessa June 14, 2008 at 1:31 PM  

You're so very welcome, Grandma! We random Internet peoples care! :-)

Dutchbaby June 14, 2008 at 2:00 PM  

Let's hear it for the power of love! Hip, hip, hooray!

Relyn Lawson June 14, 2008 at 11:11 PM  

There is nothing like love to cheer a heart, encourage a spirit, energize a body. Isn't it nice that love is so easy to give. More love to Grandma Helen. Keep buckets full for yourself, too.

Elizabeth Brinton June 15, 2008 at 1:20 AM  

I only hope my own little granddaughter will be a thoughtfull as you are. Your mom must have done a good job.

Phyllis Hunt McGowan June 15, 2008 at 7:11 AM  

So glad that your grandma is home. We're all wishing her well and I hope it helped to cheer her and lift her spirits to know that so many people care about her. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

paris parfait June 16, 2008 at 2:34 PM  

How wonderful to hear she's feeling a bit better! She sounds like an amazing woman and am hoping all the good wishes coming her way will help boost her spirits and keep her strong. Much love to you and your beautiful Grandma Helen. xoxox

tangobaby June 17, 2008 at 9:34 AM  

Hello all,

I wanted to thank you all for the continuted love and support for my little grammy.

I will be sure to read the rest of these responses to her and let her know that the tide of good wishes continues to flow her way.

Thank you so very much! xoxo