julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Speaking of Elections

One might think this is a docudrama about how Hilary Clinton first got started in politics, but actually it's a clip from a wickedly funny movie called Election, which stars Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick. It's one of my favorite films to watch when I need a good laugh.

If you've never seen this movie, you really should rent it, maybe before the Democratic National Convention. And if you haven't seen the movie since it came out, it's still as funny as you remember. But just eerily more truthful.

8 comments:

Greg June 3, 2008 at 9:09 PM  

slate did a funny mashup with that film too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rleUPHX8yfM

tangobaby June 3, 2008 at 9:29 PM  

GTFO!!!

Omigod, that clip is freaking hi-larious!!!

Thank you!!

!!!

Phivos Nicolaides June 4, 2008 at 6:03 AM  

This video clip gives a good laugh and good messages for the public life too.

studio wellspring June 4, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

this was such a cute movie! in the film of my life {"sagas of the sunshine girl" is the working title} reese witherspoon would totally star as me. i just adore her. ;o)

tangobaby June 4, 2008 at 11:02 AM  

Hi Philip,

I wish our elections here provided us less fodder for laughter, but hopefully soon our politics will be less painful to observe.

But yes, this movie is really great fun.

Hi Ms. Wellspring,

I don't think you could have cast your role better than Reese. So, when do I get to read the screenplay?

;-)

paris parfait June 4, 2008 at 11:54 AM  

Very funny and perfect timing! xo

Vanessa June 4, 2008 at 11:56 AM  

So, it seems there is now a chance for 'change you can believe in' in America.

As one who no longer lives there, I only watch from the sidelines. Politics always makes for a good show. The next five months should be pretty eventful. To state the very obvious.

tangobaby June 4, 2008 at 2:57 PM  

Hi Paris Parfait,

The mashup video that Greg mentioned in his comments is almost as good as the real film. Check it out...it's really funny.

Hi Vanessa,

Sometimes I wish I could be on the outside (ie., somewhere else in the world) looking in and then I wouldn't feel so helpless about how things go astray here.

However, today I feel hopeful. I am sure the months ahead will be full of unprecedented mudslinging, but perhaps these politicians will try to keep their antics to a dull roar this time and actually concentrate on what Americans (and the world) really want to hear.

That is my hope.