julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, April 14, 2008

Glorious Technicolor Goddess



If I was Gene Kelly, and I had a chance to dance with Cyd Charisse, I would go out of my freaking mind. Damn. I lose my mind just watching her. She is a Glorious Technicolor Goddess.

Or maybe it's the haircut.

;-)

She is wearing green Cuban-heeled, backseam stockings. Be still my heart.

***
Actually, I had to post this after reading your comments about the recent hilarious and memory-tripping viewing of Flashdance. Think of this clip as the antidote to that MTV crap. I mean, here's a classic, perfect film (Singing in the Rain) and crazy as it may seem, the principal characters are doing their own dancing. The director actually cast people in dancing roles *gasp* who could dance.

This is just another example of how more contemporary movies will never rise to the level of these classic films, and there are many of them worth watching often. This caliber of talent either never makes it on screen because the Hollywood powers-that-be don't think it will sell to moviegoing audiences, or this kind of talent just doesn't exist anymore. I'd like to think it's the former reason and not the latter. And I just hope that kids today get some sort of exposure to real music and real dancing so it all doesn't become forgotten.

Okay, herein ends the rant. But I know you all agree with me.

12 comments:

Amy April 14, 2008 at 11:57 PM  

I just love that movie, Cyd was so full of elegance wasn't she and Gene...well he's just awesome!

Anonymous April 15, 2008 at 5:57 AM  

That was just awesome to watch. What a great way to start the day!

yowsa what legs she has!

Ah, please note my new URL. ;-)

Red Shoes April 15, 2008 at 8:23 AM  

He was pretty crazy about her, of course--his intros for her each time they showed a clip of her in the "That's Entertainment" movies were absolutely glowing. Couldn't be otherwise.

And yeah. The legs, ohhh the legs!

Anonymous April 15, 2008 at 8:53 AM  

I hope she has a license for those legs!!!

Sheeeeesh! Killer!

studio wellspring April 15, 2008 at 9:22 AM  

you know already that i couldn't agree with you more... but i'll just say it again for good measure. ;o)
next pajama party let's watch some really good, classic, real dancing films! ;o)

Rebecca Ramsey April 15, 2008 at 11:08 AM  

Amen sister!
I love Cyd and Gene! And I'm so glad that my three kids have gotten a good education on wonderful movies! We lived in France for four years and the only English channels our satellite got were TCM and CNN, so they became fans of Gene Kelly, Bette Davis, Katherine Hepburn.

I love your blog. Thank you for sharing!
Becky

paris parfait April 15, 2008 at 1:24 PM  

They were both amazing dancers - and yep, I agree with you wholeheartedly! xo

tangobaby April 15, 2008 at 1:38 PM  

Hi all,

Since you guys loved Cyd so much, I just posted my really favorite clip of all (I just have Cyd Charisse posts stockpiled, ready and waiting!).

***

Hi Amy,

Welcome to my blog and thank you for your comment. I agree with you 100% percent. I swoon over Cyd and fall in love with Gene every time I see that movie. It's just one of the best movies ever.

Hi Tina,

I LOVE YOUR NEW BLOG! It looks fantastic! I'll update my link to you.

Hi Red Shoes,

We can't blame the man, can we? She was so gorgeous. (Actually still is.)

Hi Johanna,

I think her and Ann Miller were both admired for their legs, but I think Cyd is just so glamorous.

Hi Ms. Wellspring,

Hmmm, I think I might have some more DVDs...

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome and thank you for visiting my blog. Your kids are so lucky that they had a chance to appreciate such talent. I think a lot of kids are really missing out these days by not seeing these great films.

Hi Paris Parfait,

They were pretty well-matched, wouldn't you say? Wowza.

P April 15, 2008 at 4:17 PM  

I'm with you. I loved that film and have had a major crush on Gene Kelly since I was eleven.

Anonymous April 16, 2008 at 11:13 AM  

Legs...

Green heels...

...

...

I'm sorry, what were you saying?

:)

tangobaby April 16, 2008 at 12:01 PM  

Hi p,

I know, I'm with you. I totally love the little scar on his cheek too. Gene is hot.

Hi tanguero,

My point exactly. She does the same thing to me. But you lucky devils get to dance with ladies like that!

;-)

Anonymous April 28, 2008 at 7:45 PM  

OMG her legs are legendary.