julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Run Away, Tangobaby

I wish I had a great followup story to my Tango Angel/crazy milonga last night, but I don't. I did try, though.

Tonight I went to the Milonga That Shall Remain Nameless. It's one I used to go to religiously back when it was crowded and the best game in town. And then it just wasn't my place anymore, so I started going elsewhere. (And lots of other people stopped going there, too, apparently. Which has nothing to do with me.)

I had seen on the calendar that Miriam Larici was supposed to perform tonight. For those of you who have seen Miriam, or like me, have had the opportunity to take classes with her, you know she is a gorgeous, amazingly talented, and super-wonderful lady. Just to see her for a ten-minute performance was enough to get me back to the Milonga That Shall Remain Nameless. I was also kinda hoping that maybe things had changed and I would enjoy going there again. No such luck.

Not only was Miriam not coming (sounds like a scheduling snafu because I seemed to be the only person expecting to see her) but the place--for me--well, I'll be PC and say it is just not where I'll be needing to frequent anymore. I now have exactly zero curiosity about the place.

To illustrate my point, I have selected a video clip that will give you an idea of my feelings on the evening's festivities (or lack thereof), where the rabbit would be the milonga and I would be King Arthur:



So now I am home, in my pjs, eating my dinner (some Junior Mints) and singing this song. Nothing better than some candy and a little Mick to revive your spirits:



Better luck next time, tangobaby. (But my eyeshadow looked hot. Oh well.)

***

PS. If you want to know what I was hoping to get a smidgen of tonight, click here for some awesome Miriam Larici performances. Watch the 3rd and 4th songs especially where she dances with Hugo Patyn. I was there in the crowd (no, I am not going to tell you where), and let's just say that was so exciting to see her dance like that. She has so much energy and grace--the woman is amazing. And Hugo is not too shabby himself.

PSS. I am kind of amused with myself that I was able to bring together Monty Python AND The Stones to illustrate a tango post.

8 comments:

Red Shoes April 11, 2008 at 7:57 AM  

Oh no! How disappointing...

But, WIN on the Monty Python bit.

ModernTanguera April 11, 2008 at 9:35 AM  

Well done on the Monty Python - tango connection! I love Monty Python. :D And, well, at least you know that it was right for you to move on from that milonga.

tangobaby April 11, 2008 at 10:03 AM  

It's nice to know that the little voice inside your head that says, "Nah, don't do that" is still right. I would have gone to the other (real) milonga but I didn't have any more money.

It's also nice to know that you can go home early, eat some candy and watch the Killer Rabbit scene without going through the whole DVD.

I'm going to have to think of ways to work other MP clips into my posts. Maybe Swamp Castle will be next...

paris parfait April 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM  

Sorry that place was a disappointment. But you have done an amazing job putting together those musicians with a tango-related piece. Oh and Junior Mints - I remember those - a must for the movies. Sadly they do not exist in France. xo

tangobaby April 11, 2008 at 10:44 AM  

Hi Paris Parfait,

But you are in PARIS!! Who cares about crappy Junior Mints?!

;-)

You make me laugh. There has to be *something* good to eat where you are. First it was the Girl Scout cookies. Now the Junior Mints.

Please please please go to Laduree or DeBauve & Gallais for me. Go to Berthillon. Go to Barthelemy.

Then you will have forgotten all about the Junior Mints.

xo

PS. Thanks for the sympathy but it's okay about the place...I had a feeling it could possibly suck so that's why I didn't stay too long. Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

Anonymous April 12, 2008 at 1:01 PM  

I'm so happy you're highlighting Miriam, TangoBaby--she so deserves it. I took a private & classes with her & Hugo last summer at Nora's Tango Week & they were amazing. I've never taken lessons from a sweeter teacher.

AlexTangoFuego April 12, 2008 at 2:32 PM  

hola baby...

Now I will have to dig and find my raw footage of Hugo y Miriam dancing at the Denver Christmas Milonga a few years ago...it was one of the best performances I have seen...

tangobaby April 14, 2008 at 11:03 AM  

Hi Mark,

You've described Miriam perfectly. I'm bummed there isn't a Hugo in Miriam and Hugo anymore, though...

Hi Alex,

I'm sure we would all LOVE to see your video! Please post it for us!