julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Noir Sunday with Red Shoes

Luckily for me, most of today had nothing to do with Football.

There's something so great about living in San Francisco, where you can dress up like whatever you want no matter what day it is and no one will give you a second look. If anything, they'll compliment you ("hey, nice skirt") or just take your photo.

***

Today, me 'n Mr. and Mrs. Red Shoes went to the last (and maybe best) movie of the film noir festival, Sweet Smell of Success.

They're such good sports and embrace a good reason to dress up, just like me.

They were also movie virgins (for this film), meaning that I got to enjoy them enjoying this awesome film for the first time. It was a great audience. Lots of people clapped when certain famous dialogue lines came up.

***

I got to wear some special treasures that belonged to my grandma.

An awesome Lilly Daché hat covered in tiny white flowers.

Her crazy cool sunglasses.

Her little white cotton gloves and her black leather purse.

And the best part was recreating the makeup of the era. I did Joan Fontaine's eyeliner from the movie I saw yesterday, Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, and Virginia Mayo lips. I even threw in a couple of beauty marks.

*sigh*

Tomorrow's gonna be kind of boring by comparison. I want to be a gun moll.

19 comments:

will February 1, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

Gun Crazy, huh?

tangobaby February 1, 2009 at 9:52 PM  

She was more than a gun moll. She was in charge...

I'm thinking more of a Marie Windsor or Audrey Totter or yeah, my love Linda Darnell.

heh heh

La Pianista February 1, 2009 at 9:56 PM  

Wow.

Is your life really that much fun? :D

PS - I feel crazy guilty for not commenting in a long time. Sorry for that. :)

julochka February 2, 2009 at 1:37 AM  

oh, dahling, you look FABULOUS!

xoxox,
/j

Just Jules February 2, 2009 at 5:10 AM  

These are the things I day dream about. But living in the heart of conservative Midwest America.... yeah... people would take pictures, but, only as evidence to lock you up later ;) I am so glad others are "livin' the (day) dream"

Alexandra February 2, 2009 at 5:20 AM  

Wow! You look amazing! Oh, that hat! So much fun.

Laura Doyle February 2, 2009 at 6:20 AM  

Wow...your Grandma must have been one chic little lady. That hat is just so fabulous!

You know, you always seem to be off on some little adventure...I'm amazed you find time to tell us about it! **sigh** I wish there were film festivals in my town.

Char February 2, 2009 at 7:22 AM  

very chic - I adore your eye make-up and the hat so much. sounds like a wonderful time.

Kath February 2, 2009 at 9:10 AM  

you are so much fun!
xo

Blue Sky Dreaming February 2, 2009 at 9:12 AM  

The hat is adorable as well as the glasses. There is so much social freedom in SF...where you can really BE yourself.

Anonymous February 2, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

The poster shot of you and Ms. RS is KILLER. And I mean that in the best possible Noir way...

Dutchbaby February 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

I'm so impressed how you can glimpse at someone's make up and duplicate it exactement!

Private February 2, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

I love the photos you post. You are beyond cool!

http://racheteapaintersdiary.blogspot.com/

Claire February 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM  

Raiding one's grandma's closet/belongings is the best, though I'm not sure I could pull it off as well as you do! And your make-up was dead-on... you're quite the artist.

christina February 3, 2009 at 6:26 AM  

You look wonderful! I love your grandmothers style!

My Castle in Spain February 3, 2009 at 12:38 PM  

oh...that hat is too cute and yeah for the crazy sunglasses !
i'd love to be able to dress like that in Granada !

~DokterKenny February 3, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

absolutely stunning!!! Tose sunglasses are so cool...gotta love retro

Gill February 3, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

I love the glasses...love how BIG your eyes are and love that you want to be a gun moll.
Says so much about you. So crazy you are!!!!
xoxo

Relyn Lawson February 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

I want a print of that first picture. It's going in your shop, right?

I love that you would dress up in period makeup, great clothes, and amazing glasses to go to a movie. A film noir movie - on a real movie screen, no less. And. That you know lots of people who do it. I gotta move out of the Midwest!

The local version of your evening out would be lowrider, too-tight jeans, sandals (with ice on the ground), and a tight, fuzzy sweater that shows the belly. Don't forget too much makeup and a too loud laugh. Oh, did I fail to tell you, the movie is bound to be something culturally relevant and bitingly satirical. Like Joe Dirt. Yeah, we've got to get to a city. Soon.