julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, April 10, 2009

Now, what are the chances?

I've cried myself to sleep at night because of you. She's got you now. She wants you very badly doesn't she? She's willing to run away with you and keep on running and ruin everything for herself. But she wouldn't care because she'd be with you and that's what she wants. Well she doesn't have you now. She'll never have you. Nobody will ever have you! And that's the way I want it! You're nothing but an escaped convict. Nobody knows what you wrote down. They'll believe me! They'll believe me! ~ Madge Rapf from Dark Passage

***

Some of you may already know this, but one of my favorite Bogart noirs is Dark Passage. (I've written about our Dark Passage pilgrammage to Telegraph Hill before.)

Anyway, unbeknownst to The Boy and me until just the other day, one of the cable cars that Bogart rode on in the film is still in use and is, in fact, inscribed with the details inside the cable car.

As soon as The Boy and I heard that, we were impassioned to find that cable car and see for ourselves. But how to find it? There are many cable cars and many lines.

So today, I had to take the Powell Street car to my photo shoot (and later experienced the demise of my beloved PowerShot). About halfway up the hill, I remembered about Bogie and the cable car and looked up... and wouldn'tcha know it... right there! Look!

It says H. Bogart rode on this car -- circa 1946-47 (Dark Passage)

Now, what are the chances of that?! I don't think anyone else on the cable car even saw it, up above the cable car brakeman's head. It was my crazy cool start to a very exciting day.

Damn, I love this city.

11 comments:

will April 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM  

That's noir amazing.

I wonder who wrote the inscription?

Cartooncharacter April 11, 2009 at 2:32 AM  

It's not chance, it's a sign the Universe is giving you that you're on the right path. Forge on! :)

Just Jules April 11, 2009 at 4:59 AM  

Yeah! I love the cheerful sound of your words....

Unknown April 11, 2009 at 5:10 AM  

How lucky for you! I wonder, too, who carved the message into the wood.

iasa April 11, 2009 at 5:10 AM  

That's so cool, and I am a little jealous.

~DokterKenny April 11, 2009 at 7:09 AM  

it's like the ghost of Bogie was whispering in your ear. It's Kizmet!

ArtSparker April 11, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

I have taken tourists to the filbert Street steps many times. Congratulations on the synchronicity.

Char April 11, 2009 at 10:19 AM  

how can you not love a crazy city when something like that happens?

Eva April 11, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

Wow! That is one of the coolest stories I've heard. Congrats on finding it and getting a shot!

Brenda Susan April 11, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Oh I love that! I think your city loves you as much as you love it!

Laura Doyle April 13, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

How awesome is that? I have nothing witty to say...just sharing your surprise and elation at the brief victory over the odds. : D