julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, April 10, 2009

In Memoriam

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to bid farewell to a dear and constant friend, our trustworthy and true Canon PowerShot S5 1S. Your unexpected passing this afternoon was a bit of a shock, but we are grateful that you made it through an entire photo shoot before giving your spirit to the Ages.

Through rain and shine, from the first moment we held you in our hands, you made beautiful pictures. And now we lay you to rest, where you will shoot perfect images in Elysium and hosannas shall be sung in your name for eternity.

Rest in peace.

*angelic choir sings*

***

The Boy says I just wore the poor thing out, which is probably true.

The Boy had paid for a new camera before I even got across town to Tyler at Fireside Camera in the Marina. This new Canon has lots more bells and whistles, shoots in RAW and records HD video, and it took a lovely memorial photo of my dear, departed PowerShot.

Just in time for tomorrow.

Thank you, Boy and thank you little Canon PowerShot.

*sniff, cries*

14 comments:

Whole Wheat Toast April 10, 2009 at 7:19 PM  

Your camera died? Here's to your new camera, hopefully it will bring the same image quality your former S5 IS used to bring.

Char April 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM  

oh, oh - what did you get????

(sorry about the baby going away - it was a beauty)

Adan April 10, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

i love getting new stuff!

happy new camera DAY!

Gill April 10, 2009 at 8:01 PM  

So sorry for your loss Tango.
Are you still a Canon girl, or are you venturing Julochka's way of the Nikon?
Curious minds want to know.
xoxo

Mari April 10, 2009 at 8:03 PM  

Farewell, PowerShot, hopefully you are in the hereafter with my PowerShot, clicking away together.

Welcome to the new baby- RAW even, wow! How sweet of the boy, I gasped at first when I read of the demise...

will April 10, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

It's always the photographer, not the camera.

christina April 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM  

Congrats to you, my friend! ; ) Love to the departed.
xo

christina April 10, 2009 at 10:08 PM  

PS: Dude, you don't shoot in raw?? Now that's love.

Cartooncharacter April 11, 2009 at 2:36 AM  

You are keeping the broken camera for posterity, right? (Or, for the eventual museum exhibits of your work?)

Unknown April 11, 2009 at 5:18 AM  

The Nikkon I bought in the mid-80s was broken when one of my cats pushed it off the top of the refrigerator in the late 90s. It has been sitting in a shoe box all this time.

Lord knows why I've hung on to it (have been told it would be too expensive to repair) except that it gave me gorgeous memories during its life and I can't seem to give it up. Maybe I should bury it!

paris parfait April 11, 2009 at 6:02 AM  

Ah, when I looked on Flickr, it seemed to be the same camera. Glad the Boy sorted something even better (I am still grateful to you both for the intro to Tyler and his knowledge). xo

~DokterKenny April 11, 2009 at 7:06 AM  

Oh Nooooo..Well Jules you should save that camera. it will someday be worth thousands on Ebay! Still it has a lot of sentimental value. I am glad to hear you got a new one. I am dying to know what you got. If I had known ahead of time I would have recommended http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ in the future they are the best for supplies and have great prices! Remember it all about the lenses! Good lenses are whats important.

~DokterKenny April 11, 2009 at 7:07 AM  

PS oh yeah hopefully your new Camera will let you switch to the RAW format but you will need a bigger memory card because it will fill up fast

Anonymous April 11, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

RIP, PS! On the other hand...

NEW TOY!!!