julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, April 25, 2009

day by day


K and baby M say hello.

***

This will be a short update about K and then I hope to have more of a story to share with you soon.

On Thursday night, I spent quite a long time printing out so many incredibly moving and encouraging letters for K to read. The timing could not have been better.

On Friday afternoon, over a shared sandwich in a cafe downtown, she told me how sad and lonely she'd been feeling that day. Which is so understandable, given her circumstances. I gave her an orange folder thick with your letters. When I started to tell her about how the notes of love and hope were flooding into my email box, we both started to cry over our lunch plates.

I told her that the next time she feels sad and lonely, to read those letters because so many of you hold her and the kids in your hearts. Truly, I don't know yet what to make of all of this-- it just dawned on me yesterday that it has only been a week since I saw K and the kids on the street. I have learned so much since then and can only see more and more how good people everywhere become present when you need them.

People like you.

***

Normally if I ever "regifted" a present to me, I would never admit it publicly and certainly never tell the person who had given me the gift, but the little purse you see above holds part of the donations that you so generously have been sending in.

I did not want to hand her a plain envelope. I remembered this vibrant, beautiful little purse that Tara had given me the last time she visited San Francisco. When I told K that this purse was a gift from a special and talented lady in Paris, who had also taken the time to write her a letter of encouragement and love that was in the orange folder, I think she just couldn't believe what was happening.

Surely I am almost having a hard time believing it myself.

***

She is not out of the woods yet. Not by a long shot. The most important thing of all is to get a regular roof over her head. I worry that the money may run out before a shelter becomes available but for now I will not think of that. We have some breathing room.

And it is all thanks to you.

More soon. xoxo

ps.: Again, I must apologize that I've not been able to answer your individual requests and questions about donations, clothing sizes, etc. I still have not had enough time to ask K all the myriad of important questions I need to, and also be there just to listen to her. And then to find the time back here at my desk. But I thank you all for your patience. Soon you will hear from me about whatever it was you needed to know. But don't stop writing and asking.

18 comments:

Just Jules April 25, 2009 at 3:56 PM  

People come into our lives when we need them - you dear were meant to be here, now.

Jules

Unknown April 25, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

Kelaya has such a beautiful smile. She will definitely be moving in the right direction now. I am sure she is really stunned that God is working through all of us to help her.

It is my prayer that this story can inspire others to leave, to help, and to love.

Yoli April 25, 2009 at 4:29 PM  

Julie tell her we are rooting for her. Tell her she is not alone and that together, we can make a difference. She is very brave and her children are very fortunate to have her as a Mom.

Anonymous April 25, 2009 at 5:26 PM  

Tell her I hope that my donation can help her find her way. We're all cheering for her!

Char April 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM  

so beautiful and I have been amazed but just reading how this story is spreading through the blogland and touching hearts. it gives me new hope there is kindness and warmth left in the world.

bless you Julie - thank you for allowing us to share this special woman

xoxox

Eternal Lizdom April 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

I see hope in her eyes and warmth in her smile.

Kelly Kilmer April 25, 2009 at 7:54 PM  

Huge huge hugs to you, Kelaya and the kids...
THANK YOU for keeping us in the know!!

Adan April 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

my grandfather told me 2 things before he died.

1. Everything Happens for a reason.
2. It could be worse.

I live my life by these mantra's. THIS was supposed to happen.

If you need anything else, I am just an e-mail away! I am also trying to figure out how to take phone calls on my podcast. When I figure that out, we'll get you on and talk about Kelaya's story.

Anonymous April 25, 2009 at 11:58 PM  

Sometimes I despair at humanity, but it's things like this that inspire me and remind me of the beauty of the human spirit. You are a remarkable woman Julie!

Elizabeth Brinton April 25, 2009 at 11:59 PM  

Please tell Kelaya that we think of her as one of us. Any one of us could, and might someday be, in her position. We just want her to do well and to get on top of things. We don't think of this as "charity". It is just what women do for women.
E

My Castle in Spain April 26, 2009 at 3:26 AM  

Dearest Julie,
I've just sent you an email...
Please give a big hug to Kelaya for me..
Kelaya, you've got such a beautiful smile...please hang in there..happier days will be soon !
Much love to both of you...
xoxo

ps : Julie, i've just did the paypal

Unknown April 26, 2009 at 4:31 AM  

It's a wonderful thing you're doing, keep it up and keep us all updated.

paris parfait April 26, 2009 at 5:21 AM  

Happy tears, as Christina would say. I'm thrilled that so many people have expressed their willingness to help Kelaya and are already doing so. It was indeed a fortuitous meeting between you and Kelaya.

P.S. I agree, this is one time when "regifting" that beaded bag was the right thing to do. xoxox

Kath April 26, 2009 at 7:20 AM  

Much love.
that's all ....

SE'LAH... April 26, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

You are an angel...The world needs more people like you. Still praying for Kelaya and family. JAH will provide and JAH is in all of us.

Country Girl April 26, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

Angels are real people, living and breathing. When you ask God for help, He sends one.

It's why you went back.

And now, look how good you feel. Felt good just to read this post, see her beautiful smile and that awesome new gift from Paris!!

Anonymous April 27, 2009 at 8:30 AM  

Just wanted to let you know that we posted Kelaya's story on our blog. I will continue to follow this story to see if there are any items my mom friends and we can help with. - Lisa from http://helpamotherout.org/

Heike May 9, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

You are a Goddess :). I have read all your posts on Kelaya and her family. How often do we pass people on the street with their signs, making them invisible? How many stories do they have to tell? You should be so proud that you turned around, something pulled you back, and I believe it is was your "mission" to be her voice. Bravo....My little artist budget does not leave anything to donate, but I am sure something will come to me. Till then, I will post your links. Blessings to you, and Kelaya and her children.