julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Beautiful art abounds this weekend in the Mission.

IMG_4927

***

There are people who can walk into a room and immediately magnetize it. They walk into a room and you know it. It's not a conscious thing they do, there's just something about them that captivates you.

I remember the first time I saw Soad. I just thought she effused some sort of magical qualities and I couldn't help wondering who she was.

I met her at Ney and Jennifer's tango studio for an artist's reception of Soad's tango-inspired paintings. At the end of the show, I introduced myself to her, and asked her if someday I might take her portrait for my new i live here:SF project. I tried to explain myself to her in a way that wouldn't make me sound like a crazy stalker, considering she had no idea who I was.

I'm glad to say that our photo shoot together, which is still one of my favorites, has also led to a wonderful and supportive friendship.

***

Soad is participating in the Open Studios weekend in the Mission. She's opened her gallery, her home and her heart to those who want to come and appreciate her art and meet other kindred spirits.

If you can, stop by and say hello. I'm sure you'll adore her just like I do, and discover a wonderful artistic talent, besides.

***

From her invitation:

StudioSoad SF Open Studios this weekend!

It has been said that art is a tryst,
for in the joy of it maker and beholder meet. ~Kojiro Tomita
I can't wait for us to meet... this weekend!

Saturday & Sunday, October 10th & 11th from 11am to 6pm
or by appointment
3560 24th Street, #5 (@ Guerrero, 3rd floor, no elevator), San Francisco - 4 blocks up from the 24th/Mission BART station

See you soon...
un abrazo,
Soad

http://www.studiosoad.com/
sign up to be on my email list: http://eepurl.com/dG8i

General Open Studios Info: http://artspan.org/

7 comments:

kath October 10, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

She has a beautiful smile ...
I hope you are well my friend.
xo

Brad October 10, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

What a beautiful photo and smile. Wish we were in the area and knew and would have stopped by.

We hooked up with some friends and checked out some collective spaces on Alabama St. Project Artaud, Developing Environments, Art Explosion, and Cell Space. Was pretty drained after that...

mati October 11, 2009 at 5:28 AM  

i hope the event was a stellar success and enjoyed by all- i used a photo today on my blog which as i recall is yours- i do hope i noted it correctly!
salut du midi

LoisW October 11, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

How much fun are you having? You are on your path and heading toward more and more opportunities! I am excited for you! Love all the paintings in that photo.

Char October 11, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

sounds like some fun to be had

AphotoAday October 12, 2009 at 12:18 PM  

Wonderful set...
Yeah, I think I see the Egyptian/Tango thing going on there...
I put the flickr thing on slideshow and just sit back and let it play... A very nice break...

StudioSoad October 14, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

You are gorgeous Julie! Thank you for your continued support and enthusiasm... and for being such an inspirational force!