julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, January 11, 2008

En Garde!

Dear Eva and Malena,

You've inspired me to dust off my glove, mask and foil! Here is some fun viewing for my "Sisters of the Sword."

;-)

The first video, full of classic swashbuckling, is great because it has a clip of Maureen O'Hara in At Sword's Point. She was an accomplished fencer and did many or most of her own stunts. The actors shown here were known for their prowess with the sword, even though these fights were all obviously choreographed. And my first love, Errol, is featured after the Maureen O'Hara clip. *swoon*




This clip gives a nice historical setting to the modern day art of fencing. I think I'll have to get this DVD for myself:




I just found an article that descibes fencing as the martial art of incurable romantics...perhaps that's the tie between tango and fencing? That might explain it.

Enjoy!

xo

tangobaby

3 comments:

Malena January 11, 2008 at 8:00 PM  

Ok, now I can't wait until next week's class! This is so inspiring, and so beautiful! The incurable romanticism, that has got to be the tie... May we never lose it. You made my day in return, TB!!!

Eva January 13, 2008 at 7:22 PM  

"Sisters of the sword"...this is so wonderful! ; )
Thank you so much for this post. The "Tenth Guard" looks great. I want to get a copy for us as well. I am looking forward to our next class and can't wait for the day when we'll need to purchase our own equipment and gear.
Thanks again for the inspiration and for thinking of us. ; )

tangobaby January 13, 2008 at 9:44 PM  

Dear Malena and Eva,

I'm glad I could return a little of the excitement and inspiration! Malena, I agree: Let's never lose our romantic natures!

And Eva, don't wait too long to get your own gear. It's not terribly expensive and the comfort you will have in using your own equipment will make your classes that much more enjoyable.

For a little more than the cost of a new pair of CIFs, you can get the basics: chest protector, jacket, mask, glove and foil. And then they are ALL yours! (Nothing worse than using someone else's sweaty face mask.)

I'm still trying to find a class that doesn't interfere with my favorite tango classes and milongas. I may need to be patient and in the meantime, will look forward to your adventures on the "piste" (the fencing strip).