julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, June 12, 2009

Busy Bee

Yes, more bees.

***

I can't help it. It's just so gratifying when you get a good bee shot. They are very difficult models. Plus, I practically have to stick my camera up their little bee bottoms to get these photos. This bee must have been humoring me.

For lack of a better metaphor, I'm going to bee busy this weekend. I'll be over with Lisa and Rachel at Help A Mother Out (HAMO) as they sort through bins of donated clothing, diapers and toiletries. And for those of you who want a K and the kids update, they will be joining us to help and play with the other kids, too. (I'll tell them you said hello. No apartment yet, but we're working on it, everyone is doing okay and I'll be keeping you updated.)

I met Lisa and Rachel when the story about K and the kids first started. They've been enthusiastic and stalwart supporters of my story but what they're doing to help mothers in need STATEWIDE is even more incredible. (And they just got a shout-out on Craig of Craigslist fame's blog yesterday.)

Lisa and Rachel are two young mothers with young kids who are making a tremendous difference in the lives of mothers and children who have been affected by these difficult economic times. Won't you read a bit more about them here?

About their diaper drive, which has been a huge success. But will always be needed and ongoing.
About the organizations they work with.

***

Thanks again, and I hope you all do something you enjoy this weekend. And one last plug and BIG thank you to Adam for the podcast we did last Sunday. If you didn't get to listen to it, I hope you will, and thank you to those who already have!
(I've cleverly put it at the bottom of this post, just in case.)

13 comments:

Christine--RHP June 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM  

Wonderful!! Thanks for sharing this!
have a great weekend!

Bee June 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

Wow! What a great close-up of that bee!!

I took a bee picture the other day and the bee reminded me, so completely, of a baby enthusiastically breastfeeding. The same "stoned" expression of utter absorption and bliss!

Relyn Lawson June 12, 2009 at 11:05 AM  

How wonderful it was to listen to your voice. It makes our friendship feel more real, somehow. You said, "Do something...." And I thought, "Yup. That's why I love her. She's a doer who dreams." I loved this podcast. And, I love your sweet, ageless voice. If you were less articulate and smart, your voice could still pass for 17.

Relyn Lawson June 12, 2009 at 11:06 AM  

Oh, one more thing. I really, really loved the music on that podcast. Especially the last one - ways of summer. I've got to check out that music.

Anonymous June 12, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

Wow. That is a really really good bee shot, they are so difficult to photograph. But when you do get them, they are great subjects. Nice work.

http://louduk.blogspot.com/

SE'LAH... June 12, 2009 at 4:39 PM  

great bee shot...how wonderful that your weekend will be spent helping others. do tell K. and family hi for me.

sorry it's taken me so long to catch up.

Mari June 12, 2009 at 6:24 PM  

I saw the cutest baby bumble today. Cutest ever. I am going to go read about Rachel and Lisa now, they sound saintish, and we all need a little of that!

Just Jules June 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM  

I giggled out loud about sticking the camera up the lil bee bottom! I loved the podcast (and not just because you all mentioned me, but it helped ;)

so thrilled to see what the force of a few women with a mission can accomplish!

Char June 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM  

such great works - I like working with the ophelia closet here that gives clothes to women going back into the work force and their children.

Minerva June 12, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

Great shot of the bee!

Adan June 13, 2009 at 5:13 AM  

thank so much for yet another plug.

I loved that photo. i will admit, i am a bit freaked out by bees. I don't kill them because they are too important, but they freak me out and I avoid them.

Take care, and I hope you have a great time this weekend!

Bee June 14, 2009 at 2:14 AM  

A friend requested a "drunken bee" from my garden, and I hope you don't mind, but I also linked to you! When you wake up, (hours from now), I hope you have a blissful Sunday.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats June 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM  

I haven't left a comment in a while, too long.

Love the bee shot, reminds me of lace.

The podcast was great, wonderful to hear your voice and the hope and excitement as well as the frustration.

And blonde, wow like strawberry, man! Wonder what fruit it will bear :-)