julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, September 10, 2007

This Side of Paradise, Revisited

This weekend I went to the Art Deco Society's Annual Gatsby Summer Afternoon. I was invited to go months and months ago by some friends, and as the date approached, I started thinking of all of the other things I could/should be doing (like dancing, grocery shopping, etc.) because I was kind of afraid that I was going to be stuck with a bunch of odd characters, like the kinds of people who re-enact Civil War battles or go to Renaissance Faires and adopt really bad Elizabethan accents.

So I was kind of expecting to be hanging about with some wannabe drunken Zeldas in their rented flapper outfits, but I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I was super pleasantly surprised. I had an absolute ball.

For starters, these Art Deco people are serious. They were into not just the clothes, but the history, the slang, the dancing, the whole period. There was not a rented costume in sight. (I have to admit that my outfit was stellar and I fit right in...I'll post pics if they do me justice. Otherwise you will have to imagine that I looked fab.) The most amazing hats, parasols, lace, shoes...and that was just the men. (No, I'm kidding!) But everyone put such care into how they dressed, including their hair, makeup and accessories. They looked good. It was like being an extra on a film set.

All of the picnics had vintage linens, china, glass and silver. No paper plates. No styrofoam cups. Cell phones were not allowed, if you can believe that one. People picnicked around their vintage cars. There was a Charleston contest. The Royal Society Jazz Orchestra played, and the singers and emcee sounded just like they stepped out of 1925. The Deco Belles, the bathing beauties, paraded with their gartered stockings and one-piece swim suits in vivid colors. Charles Lindbergh could have shown up and he'd have felt right at home.



This was the period, just after World War I, that tango dancing exploded in Europe. (See, I found a way to bring this all around.) Even though most of the dancing at the picnic was Lindy or Charleston-centered, they did play a few tangos but not the kind we are accustomed to hearing at milongas. I did get to dance one great tango with a new-found dance partner and overheard a couple of little whispers from the sidelines: No, they're doing Argentine tango.

I just came across some really interesting info on the history of tango in this century as the dance made its way through Europe and then back to the USA. Although it's not the kind of tango we prefer, I got a kick out of thinking of our predecessors dancing such a scandalous dance in their scandalous new way of dress (no corsets, the bra wasn't invented yet) and you know what...these people paved the way for us today. Your grandmother or grandfather might have been one of them!



5 comments:

Anonymous September 12, 2007 at 2:09 PM  

cat's pyjamas!!

so you were doubly transported on that side of paradise... not only did you enter the looking-glass, but you got to dance a tango dressed as a flapper!

we must compare films we love, period pieces about the jazz age. i am sure you have a breathtaking collection. i want to show you the necklaces i inherited from my grandmother...

next year, i hope to make it to the Governor's Island Roaring '20s Dance and Hot Jazz Picnic over here in new york. click on this link, and scroll down to enjoy how the east coast jazz babies get dolled up:

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2007_06_01_archive.html

tangobaby September 13, 2007 at 5:07 PM  

Nuit,

We must be together. It is imperative. And before next year's Roaring '20s Dance and Hot Jazz Picnic, although I feel I should be there for that!

xoxo to the nth degree

Nat_Laurel September 20, 2007 at 1:38 AM  

Hello!

this is a great post, I couldn't stop reading. A friend of mine forwarded me the link. May I ask you something, do you know of any vintage rental places in the Bay Area...?

Thank you

tangobaby September 20, 2007 at 10:19 AM  

Hi Natalia,

Thank you for your reply and the compliment!

I'm not sure from your message what it is that you're looking to rent? You might try the contact the Art Deco Society of California first. They probably have a lot of resources:

http://www.artdecosociety.org/

I noticed they have a links page on their site. Good luck with whatever you're looking for!

Nat_Laurel September 21, 2007 at 1:02 PM  

thank you. I am looking for places where I could rent vintage clothes, beginning of the XX century. Thanx for your advice.