julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, July 7, 2008

Silent and Silvery Wonderfulness

The San Francisco Silent Film Festival returneth! I am not exaggerating when I say that I have been looking forward to this event for a year--since the last one.


I'm looking forward to seeing a really great lineup of films, starting off the weekend right with Harold Lloyd in The Kid Brother.


I can't wait to see to an animated film that I read something about a few months ago, called The Adventures of Prince Achmed. It's the earliest surviving feature-length animated film.


One of my favorite events from the last festival is a talk that will be repeated again this time, called "Amazing Tales from the Archives," where film historians and conservationists talk about the efforts of film preservation and how conservationists are saving precious early films for generations of us to enjoy.

Oh, I just could go on and on about this festival (and probably bore you to tears), but I think I'll wait until after I've actually been there so I have something cool to tell you. In the meantime, you can read my previous posts about the festivals here and here.
I'll save some popcorn for you!

9 comments:

Relyn Lawson July 7, 2008 at 7:13 PM  

OOOHHH!!! You don't know how badly I want to hop a plane and join you at the movies. I'd even bring the Junior Mints. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Anonymous July 7, 2008 at 7:38 PM  

And I'll bring the Bon Bons!!!

Have a blast. Looking forward to a full report.

christina July 8, 2008 at 11:26 AM  

I will be the one with the popcorn waving and calling your name until you find me so we can sit together and every now and then look at each other as to let each other know- how happy we are to be watching such splendid films.

:)

studio wellspring July 8, 2008 at 11:51 AM  

can't wait for our date{s} this weekend with the quiet but thoughtful delights that await us. ;o)

Mary-Laure July 8, 2008 at 12:03 PM  

Lucky you, I'd love to see those classics...
And to have some popcorn, too!

tangobaby July 8, 2008 at 1:18 PM  

Hi Relyn,

I've already started eating the Junior Mints in preparation for Friday.

When you come out here someday, we will time your visit for the maximum amount of wonderfulness you can experience!

Hi Johanna,

oooh! I forgot about Bon Bons! No wonder I need to get some Spanx.

You especially would love this festival so I will pay extra close attention for you.

Hi christina,

I like to sit up near the front so I will save you a spot. *sigh* I really do wish all you guys could join me. It really would be fantastic.

Hi Ms. Wellspring,

We are going to have a great time (if you liked the Noir stuff, you're going to love this even more) and let's plan our outfits, as this is a fun place to dress up and wear something vintagey.

xoxo

Hi Mary-Laure,

The nice thing about Paris and its great number of theatres is you can probably see many of these films throughout the year. I know that Harold Lloyd has a huge following of enthusiasts in Paris, so I hope you can find some of his films to see soon.

;-)

My Castle in Spain July 10, 2008 at 3:08 AM  

Lucky girl ! i'd love to see this animated movie...
My boyfriend has a thing for Harold LLoyd whom he actually made me discover.
oh...i'm sure you had a good time

julochka July 10, 2008 at 9:33 AM  

tangobaby, you so have to visit me if you come anywhere near denmark or northern europe in general. i love early film! it's what i studied on my first trip to denmark. there are these marvelous early silent films made by the danes in the early days...asta nielsen was the first person they used the word "movie star" about, you know...where they did alternate sad endings for the russian market. some of those are preserved at the danish film institute. it's wonderful!

tangobaby July 10, 2008 at 11:28 AM  

Hi Lala,

Oh, you have a very good boyfriend! Anyone who helps you discover a treasure like Harold Lloyd is a keeper.

The festival starts tomorrow night so I'm just teasing you here...I'm sure I'll have something fun to share next week.

Hi Julochka,

It's a date! I am fascinated by the European silents. They are so much more sophisticated in some ways. I think audiences today are missing out on so many wonderful cinematic experiences by missing out on the silents.

I remember when I saw Flesh and The Devil last year, that the print they had came straight from the Library of Congress and we did not know which ending we would see. I think it's charming that movies used to be released with different endings, just in case!