julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, November 27, 2009

The Day After, again


Reflections on a Thanksgiving.

Thought 1. I am very glad it doesn't occur to me to cook like this all the time. I mean, I love my Thanksgiving recipes and mercifully seem to forget all about them except for once a year.

Thought 2. Preparing the food is probably more fun than eating it. By the time the turkey is ready to go in the oven, I'm so grossed out by the thought of eating it that the cooking of the turkey is almost like an afterthought (I'm really all about the stuffing, actually. The turkey is the vessel). Something you have to go through with since you've come this far already.

Thought 3. I believe Thought 2 firmly until the crispy turkey skin smell starts invading the house. Then Thought 2 becomes downright silly, and what am I saying? Of course I'm going to eat what I cooked. The turkey skin is my favorite part. Stuffing has now become Second Favorite Food.

Thought 4. As I finish the Crack Potatoes, I'm very grateful that some important things do come to me in the form of dreams. This year, I dreamt of Egg Nog Bread Pudding, which upon being awake, I concocted with toasted bread, sliced apples, rum, grated nutmeg and cardamom, and lots of egg nog. I made homemade whipped cream. This pudding rivaled the Crack Potatoes in terms of sheer delicious mouthfuls of ecstacy.

Thought 5. The Godfather (Parts 1 and 2), when watched together in its entirety, can keep you fully engrossed and entertained not only during the preparation of Thanksgiving food, but while you're eating it. (First of all, it's about family. Second of all, it's not that gory. You can't watch Goodfellas while you're eating.)

Thought 6. I hate the Food Baby. Good thing my XL Bill's Towing t-shirt hides it. But I can't wear this t-shirt outside. I am trapped indoors until the Food Baby goes away.

Thought 7. I will never eat again. I'm going on a juice fast.

Thought 8. How on earth can I be hungry again?! Dammit.

Thought 9. Cold stuffing and turkey being picked off from the pan in little bits without utensils but dipping in warm leftover gravy is the ideal.

Thought 10. Now wearing the XL Little Shamrock (local bar) t-shirt. Very glad Thanksgiving comes only once a year.

9 comments:

Adan November 27, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

i'm right there with ya!!

how have you been!!?!

i almost called you the other day just to say HI!

Nancy Ewart November 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM  

I would have done the same think if I'd stayed home. But I volunteered to serve lunch for low income seniors at St. Francis Lutheran. We got a turkey dinner as a thank you with a choice of ham or turkey. I passed on some of the carb stuff but didn't pass up their great gravy and stuffing. But the good thing is that I didn't have a pan of great leftovers at home to keep on tempting me. I even managed a long walk today so I've burned off some of the calories. I'm glad that I DIDN'T remember your evil potatoes. They really are the crack and you are an evil woman for posting the recipe. Evil, Evil, Evil! But it sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving. When you feel up to it -or have room in your tummy -- we should do that long delayed lunch.

d smith kaich jones November 27, 2009 at 5:30 PM  

Reading this reminds me why I don't own a stove. :) Off to my mom's I eat a tad, and return home with just a bit of turkey & dressing, but an entire made-just-for-me-by my-wonderful-sister-in-law tart, tart, tart apple pie. Which will be all I eat until it is gone.

:) Debi

Marilyn Miller November 28, 2009 at 7:48 AM  

Isn't it funny how after a Thanksgiving meal we think we won't need to eat for a very long time and before the day is out we are nibbling on leftovers. I hope my Food Baby goes away, but I would be home forever if I waited for that to happen.

SE'LAH... November 29, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

Hi lovely.

So nice to have a moment to come by and catch up. Hope you are well and enjoyed your thanksgiving...sounds like you did ;)

Thinking of you.

Enjoy your day.

shabby girl November 29, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

TB, we call them "eatin' clothes" and donned them all evening long!
Love turkey skin! Especially when it first comes out of the oven!

Relyn Lawson November 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM  

You crack me up. Happy, happy day to you. Still must try making those crack potatoes. Take care.

Siobhan November 30, 2009 at 8:59 PM  

Blogs like this make me wish we had thanksgiving! I think the name 'Crack Potatoes' is brilliant :P
If only I could make them!

Yoli December 2, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

I am glad you had a happy Thanksgiving my friend. You are very talented. I would have burned up the house and poisoned the guests if I cooked.