julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, April 7, 2008

Painted Ladies of San Francisco

"The architecture of San Francisco in our residence streets has no counterpart in the world, and we have no reason to be ashamed of it. It is light, airy and pleasing in style, and is to the architecture of Europe and the Eastern States as Spanish music is to the grand and heavier compositions of Wagner." ~ San Francisco Morning Call, April 21, 1887


A couple of weeks ago, I was enjoying a post on one of my favorite blogs, My Marrakesh. Maryam's beautiful photos of colorful Moroccan doors and buildings made me want to get out my passport immediately (but I feel like that anyway when I read her blog), but it also reminded me that San Francisco is a pretty colorful town, too. We have our own version of these brightly painted homes.
San Francisco Victorians abound. They are everywhere, in almost every neighborhood in this city. Some neighborhoods, like the Upper and Lower Haight, are known for their jewel colored painted homes, whereas some more staid and expensive neighborhoods have perfect, but less flashy examples. The details and workmanship on these old homes are enhanced by an amazing variety and palette of colors.

Now that I have my new playtoy, I'll be scouring the city in search of beautiful Painted Ladies to share with you...here are just a few that I discovered this weekend in the Lower Haight. And there's more where that came from here.

.

If you are interested, there are a variety of tours and events that can help a visitor (or a local) enjoy and learn about the special beauty of San Francisco's Victorian architecture.

12 comments:

Maryam in Marrakesh April 7, 2008 at 12:24 PM  

Oh my...this makes me so happy...

tangobaby April 7, 2008 at 2:55 PM  

See how inspiring you are to me? Now I have to pop back over to Marrakesh and find out what glorious things you have to show us.

;-)

paris parfait April 7, 2008 at 2:55 PM  

Well thank goodness I'm going to see those gorgeous Victorians for myself, once again - very soon! How I miss San Francisco! xo

Anonymous April 7, 2008 at 4:22 PM  

When I lived in LA, I was fortunate enough to get to SF twice... I love that town! You are right about the colorful homes. Wonderful pictures, and cannot wait to see what else you will capture to share with us!

tangobaby April 7, 2008 at 4:42 PM  

Dear Paris Parfait,

You know I am ready and waiting...we will do the whole shebang.

Dear Katie,

SF is definitely cool, but I'm waiting to see some New York photos! I am going camera crazy, so if you keep up with me on Flickr, you'll find no end to me and my little ol' Canon PowerShot.

Relyn Lawson April 7, 2008 at 7:37 PM  

You were right. I love them! Some day, I'll come see them for myself. Till then, keep those photos coming.

tangobaby April 7, 2008 at 7:59 PM  

Hi Relyn,

It's a deal!

Anonymous April 8, 2008 at 3:44 AM  

Gorgeous! Glad to see you are making good use of your camera. I want that blue lion for my place...

La Tanguerita April 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM  

how very beautiful!..thanks to you I'm falling in love with SF - each day a little bit more.
PS. by the way - done my duty, voted for you:-)Good luck!!

tangobaby April 8, 2008 at 12:00 PM  

Hi Christie,

There were two lions in blue. Perhaps if we "borrow" one it would be okay since they have a spare.

Hi La Tanguerita,

I am glad you are falling in love with SF, and perhaps some day your tango feet will bring you out here. I will be happy to be your tourguide.

And thanks for the vote!

;-)

msHedgehog April 8, 2008 at 12:31 PM  

Gorgeous. They must be luminous and magical. Happy memories.

tangobaby April 8, 2008 at 12:59 PM  

Hi Ms. Hedgehog.

Yes, they are wonderful discoveries. They look like giant Easter eggs that people live in. The more hippie/bohemian the area, the more brightly colored they are.

Thank you for the virtual postcard. Your photo is lovely.

;-)