julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Monday, July 20, 2009

Earth Angel


"Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something." ~ H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

"The act of compassion begins with full attention, just as rapport does. You have to really see the person. If you see the person, then naturally, empathy arises. If you tune into the other person, you feel with them. If empathy arises, and if that person is in dire need, then empathic concern can come. You want to help them, and then that begins a compassionate act. So I'd say that compassion begins with attention." ~ Daniel Goleman

"Compassion is the radicalism of our time." ~ HH the Dalai Lama

***

A few weeks after I met K and the kids, I attended a press conference at City Hall, to join in solidarity with homeless families that had been trying to meet with the mayor for almost two years. Before the press conference, a petite, curly haired young woman approached me in a friendly manner and introduced herself.

In that easy way, I can now say that I met a little angel. Her name is Colleen.

Since then, I've been inspired, awed, overwhelmed and impressed by Colleen's incredible grasp of our byzantine and broken system that fails so many of our underprivileged citizens. She is constantly providing important information about the machinations at the state and city level, attending meetings in the state capitol and City Hall often. She's been a support and wonderful help with K and the kids, as well as my friends Lisa and Rachel's growing organization to help homeless and poor mothers called Help a Mother Out.

Colleen exudes a sense of quiet determination and compassion. I was thrilled when she agreed to be part of i live here:SF, mostly because I wanted to share a part of her with all of you. As we walked through the Tenderloin, scouting her favorite spots, she was regularly greeted by the locals, some for a quick wave or hello and some for a hug or a handshake. Colleen's photo shoot turned out to be as beautiful as she is and I think you'll see what I mean. I feel honored and oh so grateful that she added her story to my collection.

7 comments:

Brook July 20, 2009 at 5:56 AM  

Sometimes meeting the right person makes all the difference.

An Open Heart July 20, 2009 at 7:36 AM  

Tangobaby,
You rocked it AGAIN....I completely understand the desire to have a big camera, however, your photography is unbelievable just like it is....I am jealous of your talent....I bow at your feet!

Have a great day...
S

Sherry July 20, 2009 at 8:32 AM  

Powerful post. Angels are everywhere and your quotes speak to that so well. I'm reading the blog of an angel right this minute. Thank you for being one.

Yoli July 20, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

So beautiful and touching post. You do it again, girl.

Char July 20, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

beautiful shot and a beautiful soul

Relyn Lawson July 22, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

I commented over on SF:I Live Here, but I had to tell you again how very special I think this photo shoot was.

Anonymous July 28, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

The photograph of her is awesome. What did you use on it in Lightroom?