julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Thursday, July 9, 2009

This is the real world.

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger,

Thank you for cutting this family's welfare check from $683 to $580 a month for a family of four.

They don't really need that extra $103 anyway.

Not even this little guy.

***

I just wanted to thank you, dear readers, for your continued support of K and the kids. K has been sick with a summer flu (just after the baby had it) and while she was sick, I told her how you all continue to step up and help to keep them afloat until August.

I could just hear the relief in her voice.

Today she gave me a letter to transcribe to give to you all, which is at the bottom of this email.

But first, a little treat.

***

I had a bit of extra money in my wallet so I thought it would be fun to have dinner at Chevy's.


Lots of baskets of chips later, and lots of laughs and fun, we ate ourselves silly. I, for one, will not be eating anything tomorrow. The kids interrupt each other constantly to tell me something new and exciting: "Auntie Julie, guess what happened..." "Auntie Julie, we saw spider monkeys at the zoo yesterday..." "Auntie Julie, I can do my times tables up to 12s..." "Auntie Julie, Auntie Julie!"

How I love to hear that. They never stop making me smile.

***

And now here is K's note to all of you...


"To my Guardian Angels–

Hello everyone, My name is Kelaya.

You all just don't know how much of an impact you have had on my family. The kids are so greatful [sic]. Words can't even express my gratitude.

You all helped save my life. Each and every one of you, I am in tears right now as I write this thank you note. I also wanna thank God for such wonderful and careing people. You all did not know me or my children but still you helped us. I think of you all as my family.

Thank you all for believeing in me. All the emails that you sent to me made me feel a lot better about my situation and [kept me] strong. I would read them over and over just about every day once the kids were at school and the baby was asleep. My life was so hard before I new [sic] you all.

Thanks for easing the pain. We Love you guys so much. Big Hugs and Kisses from K and kids.

ps.: Can I read some more inspiring emails from you all? Please you guys are awesome!!!"

***

And with that, I hope you feel proud of yourselves. Those of you who helped in all the ways you could. Of course, we'd still appreciate any donations you can make, friends you can share this with, or emails you can write.

Mostly, I want you to know that these people are real. They have hope and laughter and life because you care. And so I add my thanks to theirs and my hugs and kisses, too.

xoxo

12 comments:

Anonymous July 9, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

You see Arnie doesn't have to worry about food, housing or clothing... he has many, many millions sitting in his back account. How many politicians exist who came from a genuine under privileged background, who really understand the impact of poverty upon the individual or the family?

K's message is beautiful :-)

Anonymous July 10, 2009 at 6:07 AM  

This is so moving. Amazing work as always! Gonna have to tweet this one!

Dani July 10, 2009 at 6:12 AM  

wow! i think that first, you both (K and you) have beautiful souls. and second, while i know that the extra 103 would be helpful to them (it would actually mean a lot) i believe that it is the power of people that make a difference in this country, not government.
thank you for sharing this update! the kids look like they had a good time!

Char July 10, 2009 at 6:45 AM  

yay - I'm always honored to support such beautiful people.

Gabby July 10, 2009 at 7:54 AM  

But Arnold is busy. He's flying all round the world, attending important conferences. He has so many fond corporate interests to nourish(big pharma, especially) that he has to attend to. He's straightening out the budget woes that those nasty Dems created. He's just a little distracted, shutting down mental health care programs, slashing the already gutted education budget, and killing off all those pesky programs that serve the tawdry poor.

I'll be sending you an email for K and the kids today.

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Liz Fulcher, The Fragrant Muse July 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM  

I was sure the post was going to go in the direction of "thanks for cutting this family's welfare check and for picking up the tab for Michael's funeral."

It's love what you've done for this family Tango.

Kelly Kilmer July 10, 2009 at 10:31 AM  

Thanks for keeping it real, Julie.

Don't get me started on the Governator. I am absolutely disgusted. He's holding out on signing the budget until he can get everything HIS way. He makes my head hurt!

K's note was as beautiful as that family is!!!!! Cute cute pictures. YAY For knowing times tables!! YAY for spider monkeys!!

K, stay strong. You have three beautiful kids who love and adore you, as much as you love and adore them. It shows on their faces. ;) Much love to you all.

Nancy Ewart July 10, 2009 at 10:45 AM  

Your posts and K's situation make me cry. What a world we live in - one of the most affluent countries in the world and what do we do with our wealth? Lavish it on those who have all and take from those who have little or nothing. But blessings be on you and all who work to change this, one family at a time.

Anna, The Lemon Lady July 10, 2009 at 2:09 PM  

Julie,
You are doing good things and inspiring others.

Beautiful blog, beautiful family. The average person has no idea what homeless must go through. Most are unconcerned until it happens to them...

The reality, average folks are barely hanging on...the economy has proven that.

Keep this in the news.
Prayers for help soon to Kelaya and prpecious children.
Fond regards,
Anna, The Lemon Lady
AnnaAndAva@gmail.com

Lisa T. July 10, 2009 at 4:28 PM  

i'm so happy you all had a wonderful dinner at chevy's and that july is in the clear. it is a cliche - but the personal is political. lisa from helpamotherout.org

AphotoAday July 11, 2009 at 6:18 AM  

I don't know how I would live on $580 a month, much less do it with two kids... I thought that the primary responsibility of government was to take care of people, and not the corporate special interests who all have their fingers in the pie...

Dutchbaby July 11, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

And did the fat cats in the upper echelons of California government take a similar pay cut? I think not!

Bastards!