julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Norma Desmond of Golden Gate Park

(If you aren't into dragonflies, you might skip this post.)

While strolling in the Botanical Garden today, a trio of friendly young ladies pointed out a dragonfly to me, a remarkable creature who was happy to pose for the camera.

It sat there so still that I wondered if it was dead. But then I startled it and it flew away... only to come right back and resume posing for its closeups.

I got the feeling that this dragonfly quite enjoyed having its picture taken, and kept hearing a tiny Norma Desmond voice in my head.

"I am big. It's the pictures that got small."

"You see, this is my life! It always will be! Nothing else! Just us, the cameras, and those wonderful people out there in the dark!... All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up."

11 comments:

Wallflower Diaries July 4, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

Great shot!

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats July 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

Wow, his wings look like leaded glass windows when you enlarge the picture!

Anonymous July 4, 2009 at 6:55 PM  

Wow! I love this post. You should do more like these :)

Char July 4, 2009 at 8:11 PM  

beautiful shots - and of course I adore the quotes that go with it. now all I can hear is Gloria Swanson's voice in my head saying them.

Marilyn Miller July 5, 2009 at 7:35 AM  

Great dragonfly pictures. I got some good dragonfly pictures at the Getty Villa in May. They are so beautiful and so fun to photograph.

I hope your head is feeling better.

~DokterKenny July 5, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

Dragon Flies are truly remarkable creatures. We are unable to duplicate their ability to hover, accelerate; change direction. In terms of engineering and flight they are one of natures finest accomplishments. Not to mention I love the coloring on some of them. The metallic blues and greens can be quite spectacular. They also have incredible 360 degree vision and we suspect they can see in color as well as are sensitive to polarized light. Truly incredible for an invertebrate. Love Dragonflies! Next to my Fav which are Lightning Bugs, but unfortunately we don't get those out here.

Anonymous July 5, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

I love these photos :-) I remember once viewing a dragonfly photo in a newspaper once, a close up of its face, it seriously looked like it was smiling for the camera!

Relyn Lawson July 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM  

One (of the many) things I love about you is that you can look at a dragonfly and quote Norma Desmond.

LoisW July 6, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

I can't believe she hung around long enough for you to snap those pics. Someone just gave me a fabulous cotton candy colored scarf with dragonflies on it. Love the pics! If the dragonfly is your totem:

The power of Dragonfly lies in its ability to see around things by looking from different angles. Using its ability to transform colors and lights by reflecting and refracting them, Dragonfly shows us that life, like light, can bend, shift, and adapt in various ways, making life's appearance never be what it appears to be. Dragonfly's magic shows us to see through life's illusions and find our true vision. It calls us to transform within our lives and reminds us to feel deeply so we will have the compassion necessary to help ourselves and others.

The Pink Cowboy July 6, 2009 at 5:00 PM  

Good pics. Back home (Puerto Rico)dragonflies are called Caballito de San Pedro (St. Peter's Little Horse), I would love to ride them and hover around for a while...

Laura Doyle July 7, 2009 at 12:54 PM  

I do get the feeling sometimes that some creatures just know, somehow, what you're doing when snapping photos of them and they're just all too happy to oblige and be the center of attention. My cat Annie does it all the time.