julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, July 11, 2009

It's even more fun when you dress up.

I tried to make the picture look a little more old-fashionedy.

***

Yesterday and today, I've been ensconced at the Castro Theatre for the San Francisco Silent Film Festival. It's probably one of my favorite, if not The Favorite, events in the city, and I'm a firm believer that if you dress up, it's way more fun. I'm still not expert in copying the 1920s makeup look on me (lip shape and brows-- I still end up looking more 1940s, but I've gotten enough inspiration from looking at Lupe Vélez and Evelyn Brent on the big screen to work from for tomorrow.) I did curl my hair this morning, which had me looking more like Harpo Marx than I cared to admit. I'm still not sold on this blonde business.

Every year I tell myself I'm going to buy a special, "real" vintage outfit to wear, but I still keep being able to cobble together outfits from my existing clothing that look enough of the part so that I can wear something somewhat in the 1920s fashion. The only thing I'm wearing here that's vintage is the fur stole that was my grandmother's, but even that was probably circa 1940. The hat is from Buenos Aires (the main compliment getter today. I am still convinced that people will go out of their way to be nice to you if you are wearing a cute hat.). The shoes are Clarks (even though a fellow waiting in line with me told me they looked more 1930s) and the coat was a bargain at H&M on clearance for $30.

The best thing about this outfit was that I dreamed it up in my sleep. How's that for multitasking? The only other really useful thing I've done in my dreams that I can recall was to invent that Crack Potato recipe.

I also had a sexy dream about Buster Keaton but I'm going to chalk that up to pre-festival excitement.

***

Next week, I'll be spending quality time with Relyn and Robin, who have trekked down to SF to visit me and dutchbaby. I didn't mention it earlier due to... stuff... but we should have some adventures and lots of photos to share soon.

But now I'm off to dream of tomorrow's festival outfit. Hope your weekend is full of whimsy.

16 comments:

will July 12, 2009 at 12:57 AM  

All you need is a Kodak box camera.

Greg July 12, 2009 at 1:03 AM  

VERY awesome. I still gotta lend you that SAG documentary (And return your DVDs), if nothing else the first one about the early years and the transition from silent to sound films is rather fascinating.

julochka July 12, 2009 at 3:26 AM  

that is one rockin' cool outfit and surely right up there with the crack potatoes on the dream creativity scale. and the hat totally makes it. so much fun!

Sherry July 12, 2009 at 4:22 AM  

Love your dream visions...and your outfit looks "authentic" to me. I'm one for cobbling together (as you so wonderfully put it) an outfit with existing pieces. It isn't just in 'What' you are wearing it's "how" you wear it, feel it and see it that makes a difference. Brava!

Char July 12, 2009 at 8:36 AM  

you look adorable!!! i just love your sense of daring and fun.

I'm excited to hear how much fun you ladies have.

Char July 12, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

blogger is driving me insane today and I don't know if I'm leaving comments or not.

you look adorable.

Unknown July 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM  

what a cute idea! I love it.

Nancy Ewart July 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM  

You look both adorable and awesome - just put down your variations in dress to the frugal nature of previous generations. If a dress still have "life" in it, they never threw it away. My grandmother was wearing 1950's dresses until she passed away in the late 1960s. If you and your friends want any free guided museum tours, I'm your person. It sounds like a lot of fun!

Marilyn Miller July 12, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

The outfit is perfect and even more special because you made it up in your dreams.

Just Jules July 12, 2009 at 8:27 PM  

oh dress up and movies... I love love love it. The look fabulous. The hat stunning. All so great!

Oh a blog camp of sorts too! yippy

Mari July 12, 2009 at 9:20 PM  

You look so tantalizing, dahling!

Anonymous July 13, 2009 at 4:43 AM  

kath and i are both jealous of the blogger get together you bunch are having!!! lots of photos and laughter, please.

Laura Doyle July 13, 2009 at 6:17 AM  

I think I might actually have one of those Kodak box cameras Bill mentioned. : )

I've got to say sweetheart, 20's, 40's, whatever. You look like a dream. I'm just amazed at the talent you have for pulling all the separate pieces together, makeup included.

glnroz July 13, 2009 at 6:31 AM  

You seem to have had a great time. It made me smile. Not much goes on around here like that,,glenn

Flapper Flickers + Silent Stanzas July 13, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

I'm insanely jealous that you got to go to the festival. ^_^ And that hat is the berries!

Sexy dreams about Buster rock. How dare you not share? LOL Speaking of, I have a new poem up on my blog about him today:

silentstanzas.blogspot.com

Jen ^_^

Anonymous July 28, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

Your blog was my most missed blog over the past two weeks. I am going to spend the next few hours looking throug it (and others) :)