julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Swingbaby

To begin again...

It's been a while since I started on my tango adventure, so I haven't had the experience of being a complete newbie for some time now. I've had lots of other novel experiences dancing tango, but now I'm reliving the feeling of starting something anew. Mostly those feelings of complete enthusiam, exhiliaration, confusion, and impatience with my incompetence.

I've decided to start learning swing. Primarily East Coast Swing and Lindy Hop. Last night was my second class in Lindy Hop and my fourth class in East Coast Swing.

For quite a while now, I've been completely devoted to tango. I've never even considered learning another dance or even seen the need to do anything else. I haven't wanted to.

And then, a few weeks ago, I was walking through the park on the way to the de Young Museum, when I heard the most incredible sound. Big Band music wafting through the treetops. I followed the sound as it got louder and louder, to find the source of it alongside the museum and a gathering of dancers bopping like mad. It was obvious they were having a blast. I never made it to the museum.

They were offering a free beginning class in just a few minutes, so I stayed for the lesson. And I had a ball, too.


I realized there was something that I was missing but I hadn't known it until then. To have a dance that's a little wild and crazy, where you can laugh and be funny and silly. Tango is many things to me, very important things, but wild and crazy and silly--definitely not.

However, learning these dances has not been easy for me. I don't remember learning tango as being so difficult. I don't get the lead. I get mixed up on the counting. Mostly I feel like a dork. But I can see the fun times that are ahead in my future, and hopefully that will keep me motivated until my feet can do what they're supposed to do.

I used to think that learning another dance would interfere or even take away from my tango technique. That it would distract me from my mission. Now I feel completely the opposite. Now I think it will make me appreciate tango even more.

2 comments:

Red Shoes August 15, 2007 at 7:48 PM  

Oh, I love swing! I learned straight-up East Coast in a ballroom studio, but the Lindy Hoppers and Jitterbug folks just amaze me with their energy. So fun!

tangobaby August 15, 2007 at 9:15 PM  

Yeah, these people are pretty tireless. They put on quite a show!