julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

8 p.m., Pacific Standard Time


Election Night.
At 8 p.m., the room exploded with joy.
Inside The Independent, Divisadero Street, San Francisco.

***

Like a lot of you, I'm really tired today. But it's a different kind of tired. I'm thrilled to be tired. I've destroyed my vocal cords from cheering (but my voice does sound damn sexy, kind of like Kathleen Turner in her prime) and the palms of my hands still hurt a little from clapping.
My eyes are puffy from crying.

But it's all good. I wouldn't want to be any other way today.

***


I think this is when I started to go a little nuts.

OHIO! And Florida! And Virginia!
I had it easy. I live in a slam-dunk state. But the people who got the word out, who stood in long lines, who live in parts of the country where making this leap of faith is a HUGE deal...

YOU are my heros. Truly. Thank you.

***

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer." ~ President Elect Barack Obama

Once I got outside of The Independent, I saw this flyer just a block away while heading towards home.

I've always felt that I missed out in the great moments of history: the Women's Suffrage movement, the end of WWII, the Civil Rights Movement, the Kennedy Administration, the space race. Times that formed our nation's consciousness and helped make us a country that people looked up to.

I don't feel like that anymore.

***




The entire transcript of Obama's historic speech is here.

18 comments:

My Castle in Spain November 5, 2008 at 10:06 AM  

Dear J. indeed this is a great moment of history..I am so proud of America ! I cried this morning, I laughed..i'm still crying out of joy!
This is THE day !!!

Elizabeth Brinton November 5, 2008 at 10:13 AM  

TB,
So proud, so happy, ready to work to keep the dream of our Founders alive. What a moment, what a night, what an era.
XOXO
E

Uncle Beefy November 5, 2008 at 12:05 PM  

Needless to say....THRILLED! OH YEAH! But I am also wiped out! I didn't realize how much anxiety I had built up inside? And, while elated, I am pooped. But I'll bounce back...you know I will! Mm, hmm!

Claire November 5, 2008 at 12:24 PM  

I think a big chunk of the planet felt American last night.
I, as a French and Canadian citizen, am happy and proud of you and for you, my dear American friends.
Now, tomorrow will be another day, and we will face old and new hardships, but today... thank you.

Yoli November 5, 2008 at 1:44 PM  

Girl, I have not stopped crying. As a minority who adopted Chinese children, I feel for the first time hope. My children will no longer be burdened by the color of their skin, they will know that nothing is impossible that indeed we can work towards our dreams and accomplish them.

Gill November 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM  

All of your comments are making me weepy.
Well done, all of you. It is the people who make change happen, when they work together.
What a fantastic leader Obama will be.
I have no doubts. What an exciting time lies ahead, repairing old damage and forging new roads.
Congrats to you all from Canada!
xo

Mary-Laure November 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM  

I am happy and proud today. I can't believe it. It's good again to be an American.

paris parfait November 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM  

It is a HUGE moment in our history - and I'm so glad we got to share in the march! I, too am still all weepy and emotional; think I'll wait until tomorrow to write my post-election thoughts. Thanks for sharing these happy, joyful photos of our country celebrating the UNITED state of America- after too many years in the dark. xo

paris parfait November 5, 2008 at 2:09 PM  

It is a HUGE moment in our history - and I'm so glad we got to share in the march! I, too am still all weepy and emotional; think I'll wait until tomorrow to write my post-election thoughts. Thanks for sharing these happy, joyful photos of our country celebrating the UNITED state of America- after too many years in the dark. xo

Anonymous November 5, 2008 at 3:43 PM  

Well from the U.K.. and I feel that I can speak on behalf of all of us because everyone I've talked to about this was hoping for an Obama win, a BIG congratulations and YAYYAYAYAYYAAY!

Brenda Pruitt November 5, 2008 at 5:12 PM  

I feel so good to be an American today. For the first time in a long time, I feel pride.
Brenda

l'air du temps November 5, 2008 at 5:23 PM  

gloria steinam said a beautiful thing today. she said with last night's election, she got her hope back. all that happened in the 60's stole all hope for her that she thought she would never have again.

these days in america are sweet indeed!

christina November 5, 2008 at 6:24 PM  

This is such a beautiful day! This is wonderful. I think I still might be in shock. ; )

I really broke into tears when I was able to hear the older people speak in my community. ; )

will November 5, 2008 at 8:47 PM  

YOU are the hope of future days.
Enjoy
Rejoice
And then work
As hard as you can.

I am so happy for your generation.
You made it happen.

Unknown November 6, 2008 at 2:14 AM  

great bog!
By the way: I stayed up all night until 6 (12 at night your time)in the morning, then I called my friends over in the states and congratulated them on this change.

Gina from Germany

Unknown November 6, 2008 at 2:41 AM  

Best news ever! I was very teary. Such a wonderful wonderful achievement.

Also, long time no speak? Was great to drop by and catch up on all your goss ;) Christie @ Figandcherry.com

Anonymous November 6, 2008 at 1:42 PM  

we are so fortunate to be here in this history. i stole your quote from the elect speech in chicago. i'll never forget my husband and i standing together in hug listening to obama spell out victory. it happened to be that night we had over a couple of his former students for halibut and chips who are now married and stationed in the air force. the beautiful pregnant wife is black skinned and grew up here in anchorage with i think it was 9 adopted brothers and sisters. and the ginger-haired husband with two family members and knowing very little of his ethnic descent. they are a fascinating couple and it was kind of neat to have them in our living room aa we testified to the country breaking a few of its own barriers.

tangobaby November 7, 2008 at 10:12 AM  

Hey guys,

It's so great to see all of you here, and to have visited your versions of the same great experience. A historic moment that all of us will remember with tears and joy!

xoxo