julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

More Crack for Thanksgiving

As a preemptive Thanksgiving gift/post, in addition to offering you all my most appreciative thanks for hanging out with me in the blogosphere* and being such lovely people, I wanted to share one of my Thanksgiving treasures with you: my special recipe for Crack Potatoes. This is a key dish in order for you to make your Food Baby on Thanksgiving Day (in case you actually needed help with that).

The Boy named the recipe for me. These Crack Potatoes are the centerpiece of our holiday table instead of the turkey. (No, that is not a photo of them. That's a picture I got off of the Corbis stock photo website. Our potatoes never last long enough to have a picture taken of them.)

***

Okay, don't laugh but the reason this recipe doesn't have any measurements is because I dreamt it. Seriously. Why can't I have dreams about how to play the stock market or what the winning lottery numbers are?

No. Instead I dream about recipes for mashed potatoes.

So that is why I have to fudge the measurements because I wing it. Just realize that more butter and more cream are okay.

For me and The Boy (who named this recipe Crack Potatoes because we could NOT stop eating them and then he eats ALL of the leftovers in the middle of the night), I use approximately the following (obviously if there are more of you then you need more ingredients, but you knew that already):

2 big handfuls each of the baby Yukon gold creamer potatoes and the baby red creamer potatoes
1 large onion
At least a stick of butter
Whipping cream or half and half
The secret ingredient: 2-4 packets of Savory Choice liquid Turkey broth concentrate. It's like a little ketchup sized packet with a thick turkey bouillon in it.

Large frying pan or saucepan with lid
Microwaveable bowl
Potato masher
Slotted spoon
Saran wrap
An empty tummy or two/pants with an elastic waistband

***

1. Wash potatoes and remove little eyes, spots, etc. Put in microwave safe bowl with a tiny bit of water and cover with saran wrap.

2. Cook potatoes in microwave to steam them, until they are just soft enough to stab with a fork. Not too soft.

3. While potatoes are steaming, cut up onion and carmelize in a large frying pan in lots of butter.

4. When onions are golden and gooey, remove potatoes from bowl with a slotted spoon and add to pan. Turn heat down to low and cover.

5. What you want is for the potatoes to get nice and browned on all sides and get very, very soft, so leave the lid on and just turn when necessary. Add more butter if necessary for browning.

6. When the potatoes are very soft, use a potato masher to mash up the potatoes evenly.

7. Add packets of turkey flavoring and stir through.

8. Add lots of butter and stir through. Add enough cream to make it nice and mushy!

Serve with or without turkey. You can also just eat the potatoes out of the pan with a wooden spoon.

Enjoy!!! This is a Boy Tested and Boy Approved Recipe.

***

*I have to work on Friday which is incredibly silly and I intend to spend many hours emailing you all and catching up on your blogs. So that will be a holiday in itself. Happy Thanksgiving! xoxo

19 comments:

will November 26, 2008 at 11:12 AM  

One potato, two potato, three potato, more ...

Nancy Ewart November 26, 2008 at 11:22 AM  

Great minds, ma cherie, great minds think alike. I make something similar but I use cream AND sour cream thinned with a bit of buttermilk. The mashed potatoes are silky and a wee bit tangy and like The Boy, I can't stop eating them.
It totally sucks that you have to work on Friday! Here's hoping for a quiet day while you recover from Turkey and Potato indulgence

Dutchbaby November 26, 2008 at 11:34 AM  

Thank you, thank you. I'm putting my daughter on it right now!

I remember the Savory Choice broths from the Fancy Food Show! Which, btw, is back to San Francisco this winter!!!

julochka November 26, 2008 at 11:39 AM  

i have to say that the microwave disappoints me....as does the unavailability of savory choice broth in my country of residence...i'll have to wing it..i like the whole onion idea, tho'...happy thanksgiving, dahling, at least you don't have to work ON thanksgiving because the people in your land know it's a holiday...

xoxox,
/j

msHedgehog November 26, 2008 at 1:09 PM  

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope it is a good party.

Blue Sky Dreaming November 26, 2008 at 1:52 PM  

Recipes like yours have converted me to a wardrobe of long sweaters and elastic waist pants...it reads like a dream! Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous November 26, 2008 at 3:11 PM  

Thank you TB! Tis the season of Spanx...

Greg November 26, 2008 at 3:14 PM  

carmelized onions are really amazing as an ingredient...I have a recipe for "not refried refried beans" that uses a similar technique....

Relyn Lawson November 26, 2008 at 5:40 PM  

I am thrilled to have your crack potatoes recipe. Aren't you generous for sharing it?

You've given me an idea. Wouldn't it be fun to host a party where each guest brings their own "crack potatoes" dish? I would bring ugly dessert. It is outrageously ugly, but more yummy than turkey dinner.

I'm thinking the Lawson bunch might enjoy crack potatoes for Friday supper after a long day of slaving over a hot Christmas tree.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Greg November 26, 2008 at 9:59 PM  

after reading this post i was alerted via The Twitter to another crack known as "texas crack" which involved the following on The Twitter:

" jalapenos stuffed w/ cream cheese & gorgonzola wrapped in bacon to be smoked"

Between YOUR crack and THIS crack...well...let's just say...um...WOW!

A Cuban In London November 27, 2008 at 5:03 AM  

Happy Thanksgiving!

Greetings from London.

paris parfait November 27, 2008 at 5:13 AM  

Well I think the Chef has his own menu in hand, but I'll certainly try these crack potatoes another day. They sound fab! Happy Thanksgiving to you and the Boy! xoxox

Kath November 27, 2008 at 10:36 AM  

happy thanksgiving ... maybe Margie and I will use this recipe for our Christmas dinner, although, I have to admit, she makes the best mashed potatoes

Mauricio November 27, 2008 at 12:45 PM  

¡Muy bueno!

Saludos

Mary-Laure November 27, 2008 at 3:58 PM  

Mouthwatering...

Relyn Lawson November 27, 2008 at 6:12 PM  

Totally stupid that you have to work. Here I sit, mad on your behalf. Anyway. It's Thanksgiving today. I just wanted to stop by and tell you that I am grateful for you. For our friendship. For blogging. For your wonderful gifts. We have so much to be grateful for. Much love to you and The Boy.

tangobaby November 28, 2008 at 12:49 PM  

I have to tell you all that this batch was probably the best so far. We only have a tiny spot of potato left over, otherwise I'd invite you all over to have a taste!

xoxo

robin laws November 29, 2008 at 1:00 PM  

god almighty i must eat these soon....

Rhett Redelings November 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

First, dreaming food isn't so terribly odd. I dream in cocktails, sometimes. In fact, the only cocktails I actually invent are ones that I dream.

Second, this sounds incredibly luxurious. Must try it. Thank you!