julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Just in Case You Needed a Little Sunshine Today

In case you've got a touch of SAD where you live, we've still got plenty of sunshine here in San Francisco (famous last words... now it will probably rain tomorrow since I said that).

Actually, this little "film" (for lack of a better word) is a test using still photography and video I took today in Golden Gate Park, with every transition and special effect I could throw in for practice. And still all under two minutes. But there are ducks, roller skaters, flowers, sunshine and music if that makes you feel better.



I'm curious, for those of you who have camcorders and video editing software, what you like and find easy to use. I don't have a camcorder (I used the video function on my camera) and then used iMovie to create my snippet. I have Final Cut Express and it just is way way over my head right now. Any advice is greatly appreciated (perhaps about the hardware/software and not so much about my directorial debut).

Hope you guys had a great weekend!

8 comments:

A Cuban In London December 1, 2008 at 1:38 AM  

I can't watch the film here at work, for some reason our network has some kind of tool or device that prevents people from accessing certain websites and clips.

Windows has a basic package that it's a great pleasure to use but there's only so much you can do with it. I gave it a go myself a couple of years ago doing a little clip for the company I used to work and the result was not very bad at all.

I'll have to watch your 'opera prima' at home :-).

Greetings from London.

Jeanne December 1, 2008 at 3:54 AM  

Thank you so very much for this.
Love Jeanne

Molly December 1, 2008 at 4:07 AM  

That sure is a steady hand for a phone camera. You're a natural!
I use PowerProducer by Cyberlink - very user-friendly and so far its not annoyed me too much.

My Castle in Spain December 1, 2008 at 5:47 AM  

Great walk TB and it surely gave me some pep !!
SAD. yes my dear..we're having a cold winter even here in temporary non-sunny Andalusia..
funnily, i posted about the lack of sun today
but eh..can't have the good things all the time

Have a great monday dear one
:-)

Kath December 1, 2008 at 10:18 AM  

Lovely, it is as dark as night outside our office windows today (which I can only see by leaning this way and looking into someone else's office from my cubicle ..arrghh) and it is only 1:00 p.m..

Cheers!

Nancy Ewart December 1, 2008 at 2:44 PM  

What a lovely little video. It's so well done that I find it hard to believe that this is your directorial debut. Last year, I reviewed a video about the De Young Museum which was done by some visiting video artiste. It was a piece of crap that the guy got a big grant to do. You've done better with less money and less sophisticated equipment but what you do have - which that other jerk didn't - is a fabulous eye and a sense of movement. And BTW - when I put up a few words of tepid criticism about "his" video, either he or his alter ego bombarded the blog for months with nasty, vitriolic spam. Now that shows their quality - as opposed to the kind of intelligent, thoughtful comments that you evoke (ahem....)

christina December 1, 2008 at 2:52 PM  

I'm trying to kick SAD in the arse. Remind me again, why I don't live there.

I love the video, was that your adorable hand? : )

I'm finding the guy with the beard, way interesting. : )

Relyn Lawson December 2, 2008 at 8:52 PM  

I was watching your video and I thought, "I have GOT to get to San Fransisco and visit that park with TB. I need to see her bench." Then I thought, "Hey. Maybe this summer."