julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Home of the Brave

Today I spent a good part of the day with my grandpa. He's in his final home, a beautiful hospice in the Veteran's Hospital in Palo Alto. Outside his bedroom window, he has a gorgeous view of the rolling hills and live oaks.

I told him there's not a CEO in all of Silicon Valley that has a view like he does.

I made my grandpa a present, inspired by your advice and suggestions. I took some of my very best photos of San Francisco and created a beautiful hard-bound printed book, with a preface of a personal letter that some of you suggested I write.

At first, I was afraid to write the letter...where to start? What to say? But it was actually a lovely and sad moment, and I'm so glad and grateful that you guys suggested that I write to him.

My grandpa really, really enjoyed the book and the letter. I wanted to tell all of you about it because you helped inspire me to make it. So it was like I took a little bit of all of you and your best wishes with me.

Thank you so much!

11 comments:

Red Shoes May 4, 2008 at 11:18 PM  

Love, to you and to him.

AlexTangoFuego May 5, 2008 at 3:06 AM  

How many of our loved ones receive what you gave to your grandpa? Not many, I'm afraid. It sounds like you are feeling better. I'm glad.

Anonymous May 5, 2008 at 5:22 AM  

So glad to read this post - you've done a wonderful wonderful thing for your grandfather. And for yourself.

Anonymous May 5, 2008 at 8:37 AM  

Such a wonderful gift for both of you. Your story is an inspiration and a wonderful way to start my day. Thank you for the smile!

Anonymous May 5, 2008 at 8:47 AM  

Dearest TB, the greatest gift we can offer is to make each other happy.

Relyn Lawson May 5, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

I am so pleased to know it was a good experience for both of you. I think that the only thing more important than telling people we love them, is showing it. You did both. Both you and your grandpa are blessed for it, I know.

tangobaby May 5, 2008 at 10:55 AM  

Dear Red Shoes,

Love received, felt and definitely appreciated.

Hi Alex,

It was something that kind of made itself. It all just came together perfectly. And I am feeling better because he is happy. Thank you.

Dear Caroline,

I wrote that letter BECAUSE of you. Thank you so much for your wise and helpful, true picture of things. You were so right.

You showed me what to do. Thank you.

I hope your father is doing well.

Hi upfromthedeep,

I know you would approve of the photos I used. It turned out very well and I'm glad it made you smile, too.

Hi Johanna,

Yes, you are so right. I hope to go on doing just that!

Hi Relyn,

Thank you so much for your gentle and loving support. I wish my grandpa could meet you.

Phyllis Hunt McGowan May 6, 2008 at 1:43 PM  

"I told him there's not a CEO in all of Silicon Valley that has a view like he does." Oh, that's so beautiful. I don't doubt that you're making these days precious to him by your thoughtfulness. That's all we need at the end- love and caring and to feel important.

FogBay May 6, 2008 at 2:04 PM  

I'm so glad that you were able to share the book and that time with him.

tangobaby May 7, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

Dear TheElementary,

I sure hope I'm helping. I think I am. And you're helping me, so it all goes down the chain.

It's always lovely to hear from you.

Dear FogBay,

Me too, and thank you. I think of your story a lot and it really helps me.

paris parfait May 7, 2008 at 2:08 PM  

Oh how wonderful - what a very special treasure for your grandfather - and for you, with the love you put into creating such a precious gift. Much love to you and your grandfather. He must be a very special man! xoxox