julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, May 30, 2008

Someone's Got a Birthday

I just spent a whole bunch of money (that I don't have) on this little curly-haired person. My little niece just turned two. She's coming out to visit the California contingent this weekend for a birthday blowout, in order to claim her haul of gifts and take them back to her desert home in Nevada, where she stores her loot.

I've been trying to avoid retail therapy lately, but when you're buying toys and clothes and other stuff for tiny cute people, it's futile to resist. It's the tiny-ness of the clothes that kills me.

***

My niece is very interested in Elmo, chocolate cake and books. (She is also a fan of prunes, which she tasted for the first time in the photo here.)

When you call and get this little person on the phone, she yells how-ah-yah!?! (how are you?) with an interesting Brooklyn-ese twang (we don't know where the accent came from). But if you ask her what her favorite food is, she yells "chocolate cake!" quite clearly and with pretty good diction.

***

I realized that I am very competitive in the gift-buying department. I didn't know this until today, but it's very important for Auntie Tangobaby's delicate pysche to have brought the most kick-ass gifts of all the assorted family and friends at the party.

I am not quite sure how I got this odd competitive streak, but living in San Francisco gives you access to some really great boutiques and shopping. If you saw the little outfits I just bought, your head might explode from overexposure to cuteness. European cuteness. There's this shop, Murik Children's Store, near my office that sells children's clothes from The Netherlands, Belgium and other assorted European countries that make cuter clothes than we do.

Before Little Curly Girl was born, I opened a bank account for her. When I can, I put some money in her little account, so when she is old enough she can take dance classes or music lessons. But I also told her while she was still in utero that she can use that money for Option 3, which is to go to Paris with me, and Auntie Tangobaby will buy her some fancy shoes from the City of Lights.

I think that if I keep planting the seed, with the help of very cute European-style outfits, that when the time is ripe, my brilliant niece will choose Option 3: The Paris Shoe Shopping Trip. Then she and I will run away to Paris together to buy gorgeous footwear, eat magnificent chocolates and flirt. And go to museums.

I also got Little Curly Girl a Putmayo children's CD called French Playground so she can practice her songstyling en français in anticipation of her choosing Option 3.

(She's also getting some books, a fluffy floppy soft tiger, and some refrigerator magnets because everyone needs refrigerator magnets that are plush toadstools and squirrels that you can play with in the kitchen while your mom is making you a grilled cheese sandwich.)

The chocolate cake and Elmo accoutrements she'll have to score from someone else. Auntie Tangobaby needs to get a second job now.

13 comments:

Anonymous May 30, 2008 at 7:31 AM  

Wow can you be MY aunty too? :-)

Happy Birthday to your little niece :-)

Anonymous May 30, 2008 at 7:44 AM  

Aha! Now I know what you've been doing with your "spare" time. What could be more fun than investing in cuteness and your niece's future (with you), except for actually spending time with Little Curly Girl herself (who is, by the way, adorable)?

Debbi May 30, 2008 at 7:56 AM  

Oh I soooooo get where you are coming from!!! My goddaughter's birthday is this weekend, and I just spent more $$ than I thought I could on books and clothes. She is almost 7 and clothes have suddenly become very important. Did you know that H&M makes the best little girl clothes that look like little girl clothes without being cutesy??? They do! And they make little girl shoes, little girl purses, little girl sun hats.... oh yea, gotta accessorize the outfits!
sigh....
Happy birthday to your Gemini and mine! :-)

Anonymous May 30, 2008 at 10:09 AM  

Hey! I'm curly-haired. AND cute. Ok, I'm not all that tiny....

But I want Option 3!!!!!!

Vanessa May 30, 2008 at 12:45 PM  

I have that same Putomayo CD, it's incredibly charming. And the little birthday girl is adorable!

studio wellspring May 30, 2008 at 12:56 PM  

happiest birthday to your sweet curly girl! your gifts are so wonderfully delightful ~ she's going to love them forever and will probably even save them for her lil' daughter someday. maybe i can meet up with you in paris with my daughter & niece in tow too. wouldn't that be a fun lunch date?!?! ;o)

La Tanguerita May 30, 2008 at 1:28 PM  

Hehe. My nephew is almost three and I could sing a nice, long song about "Toys"r"us" and chocolate-coated ice cream:-)

Maria May 30, 2008 at 2:55 PM  

Aww what a cutie!!!! I have a similar thing with my niece, so I'm totally there with you! :)

Phyllis Hunt McGowan May 30, 2008 at 3:13 PM  

I have nominated you for a little award that is circulating the blogosphere ;)
I think you know which one I mean!

tangobaby May 30, 2008 at 4:51 PM  

Dear Tina,

I would love to be your Auntie! I might be old enough...

I don't know if I can start a bank account for you, though

;-)

Hi upfromthedeep,

If Little Curly Girl lived any closer, I wouldn't have any spare time at all. She is a little whirlwind of fun, I tell you.

Hi debbi,

Thank you for reminding me about H&M kids! I totally forgot about that. My office is within 3 blocks of THREE H&M stores! But only one sells the kids clothes and I usually don't go there.

I will go there when my bank account recovers. Then I can get a little something for me, too.

I bet you could whip up some sort of amazing costumes or outfits for your goddaughter with all of your talents.

Hi Johanna,

You're curly headed and cute. But also keep in mind that you like chocolate and you like to read. It's almost like you are the same person, but much taller!

When Option 3 rolls around, I will let you know so you can tag along. Or shall I adopt you too, like Tina?

Hi Vanessa,

Thank you for the review of the CD! I am so glad you liked it. Honestly, I bought it without listening to it, based solely on Putmayo's reputation and the cover art.

;-)

I still have to make it over to your blog and say hello! I will, I promise!

Hi Ms. Wellspring,

OH! Your daughter! Just seeing that totally made me tear up...I think that's a wonderful idea and we should start saving now. That would be like a dream come true.

Hi La Tanguerita,

Do they play the Toys R Us song in Germany, too? I wonder if it is the same one? Now I'm singing it!

Hi La Tanguera,

I hope you are having as much fun shopping for yours as I am for my little one.

Hi TheElementary,

Yes, I do know what you mean *blush* and I'm really super flattered! Thank you!

Relyn Lawson May 30, 2008 at 6:16 PM  

I'm pretty sure that you will win the competition. How could you not? I think that second job just might be worth it. By the way, I really love the Putumayo cd you bought. I love most of their stuff and have quite a collection. Their New Orleans Christmas CD is my favorite.

I tell you, I wish I had thought of the bank account idea when my nephew was born. He is 17 now and I am certain we would be headed on a trip next year. I am pretty sure he wouldn't pick Paris, though. I bet we would end up riding ziplines above the rainforest canopy in South America. Wouldn't that be incredible!?? It;s another thing on my Someday List, you know.

Happy weekend!

Anonymous May 31, 2008 at 8:10 AM  

Chocolates, clothes and a trip to paris for shoes. Plus an account for dancing.
yeah, you got it right. the perfect auntie!

tangobaby June 3, 2008 at 12:12 PM  

Hi Relyn,

I will have to check out the New Orleans Christmas CD--I bet it's fantastic!

I think riding ziplines above the rainforest canopy in South America sounds very exciting, too! I am not even sure what that is but maybe you should see if your nephew is up for it, and then let us know how it went.

;-)

Hi ranman!

Oh, I miss you! Someday we will have Little Curly Girl up here for the day and maybe Uncle Ranman can teach her to swing dance?! I only want the BEST for my little niece.

Hope to see you soon.

xo