julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Friday, May 2, 2008

Magical Light

The name of this post is inspired by a new friend, and an old soul.
.
I've been sorting through my photos, finding the ones where light, or the absence of it, made its mark on an image.
.
Thank you, my friend, for the inspiration. I'm wishing all of you a day touched by a spark of magic.
.
***

Light gives of itself freely, filling all available space. It does not seek anything in return; it asks not whether you are friend or foe. It gives of itself and is not thereby diminished. ~ Michael Strassfeld
.

Leaf, Botanical Gardens

Cherry Blossoms, Japanese Tea Garden

Gate, Haight-Ashbury

.
There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. ~ Edith Wharton



Dancer, San Francisco Dance Center

.
When you possess light within, you see it externally. ~ Anaïs Nin



Carousel horse, Golden Gate Park


Carousel horse, Golden Gate Park

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~ Aaron Rose
.

Pagoda, Japanese Tea Garden
.
Brick wall, Gold Alley
.
Hotel Essex, Tenderloin

What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight. ~ Joseph Joubert



Green wall, Yerba Buena Gardens

Bix, Gold Alley

Street lamp, Sutter Street



All photos are in my flickr account, too. All happily taken by me.

11 comments:

La Tanguerita May 2, 2008 at 11:01 AM  

Purely magic!:-)

NYC Tango Pilgrim May 2, 2008 at 11:24 AM  

TB,

Beautiful, beautiful shots!!!

tangobaby May 2, 2008 at 11:34 AM  

Dear La Tanguerita,

I thought of your post about the birch trees when I chose that first photo.

;-)

Dear TP,

Someday I hope you will dig up some of your photos to share. I am sure they are wonderful.

Thank you for the compliments, guys!

Anonymous May 2, 2008 at 12:24 PM  

You have made my day by so clearly delineating your understanding of the subtle and complex relationship of light, perception and emotion. I'm happy to have been a source of inspiration and am honored by your words.

One thing of which I am absolutely certain: for you, photography will be a never-ending source of delight.

tangobaby May 2, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

Hi upfromthedeep,

You are a huge inspiration to me. I look at everything differently because of you.

I used to think I could only be happy if I had a pair of dance shoes in my bag. Now I know I need to have a camera and extra batteries too.

msHedgehog May 2, 2008 at 4:22 PM  

You're really getting into this!

They're great. I'm all inspired, I'm going to have to go and post one of mine now. But not a 'light-and-shadow' one, something else.

tangobaby May 2, 2008 at 4:37 PM  

Hi Ms. Hedgehog!

If you'll remember a looooong time ago, you were the very first person I asked about camera advice.

You failed to tell me that photography is as addictive as tango...but I'm not upset at all.

Can't wait to see your photos.

;-)

paris parfait May 4, 2008 at 11:39 AM  

Gorgeous, gorgeous post - such light IS pure magic! Wonderful photos and philosophy - thanks for sharing it today. xoxox

tangobaby May 5, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

Thank you, Paris Parfait. You know especially the satisfaction of what a camera around your neck can show you!

xoxo

Mary-Laure May 6, 2008 at 10:42 AM  

Beautiful, beautiful post! I love the pictures and the quotations - especially the one by Edith Wharton.

tangobaby May 6, 2008 at 12:46 PM  

Thank you, Mary-Laure, for the compliment. And I am with you...I love Edith Wharton, too.

Did you know she lived on the rue de Varenne in the 7eme? Smart lady.