julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Get the Ocho Habit

I just saw this in a recent auction catalog. It's a pin that dates from 1905. The bidding ended at $48.

Item description: 1.75". Curl has W&H name with 1905 copyright. Reverse has original but blank backpaper. "Ocho" is a pivot move in Argentine tango but text likely applies to some U.S.A. product. N. Mint, displays Mint. First we've seen.

I love when bits of tango intersect with life in general. I wonder what the "Ocho Habit" was. A little mystery for today. What do you think?

My pin should say Get The Ocho Practice.

2 comments:

Anonymous February 2, 2008 at 6:53 PM  

That is soooo cool!!! I wonder if it even has anything to do with Tango? Now in retrospect it certainly does, but Tango had only just been developing in 1905, and had most likely not spilled outside Argentina's borders quite yet.

Fascinating :-) Thank you!

tangobaby February 3, 2008 at 1:25 AM  

Isn't that just the neatest little item? I would have loved to owned that pin. I would totally wear it.

My guess is that it is some sort of beauty/hair product? I'm going to try to do a little digging and see what I can find out.

I agree, I don't think tango really made it onto the scene until the teens, so it's got to be something else.