julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Never Say Never

There are three things (at least) that I may never be able to do:

1. Have more than a cursory understanding of String Theory. (Even though I'm told that the theory is unraveling--ha ha, that's my physics joke for today.)
2. Speak French while in France.
3. Pack a normal sized suitcase.

I have a pair of jeans, a few sweaters, boots, and the rest is all dance stuff, including 7 pairs of tango shoes. Why can't I choose a few simple outfits and be content with my selections? I am always dragging a suitcase through the airport that is about the same size as a side of beef.

One can have too many choices.

***

Ms. Wellspring and I are off to Seattle this afternoon for a tango/sightseeing weekend. We're so excited to take Ney and Jennifer's classes with the Seattle crowd, try out the local milongas, and my travel mate is going to take me on a whirlwhind tour of the city.

I am looking forward to meeting my blogger friends and finding new friends in the Emerald City (I just found out that that's the nickname for Seattle). If you've got any Things To Do suggestions, please let me know. I've been told that we need to watch people throw fish (?!) at the market, and to go on a ferry. But I'm totally open to other possibilities.

13 comments:

j February 7, 2008 at 12:04 PM  

you are in excellent hands with Swellspring! have so much fun, and don't let the emerald steal your heart!

Elizabeth Brinton February 7, 2008 at 12:30 PM  

Oh Yes, Emerald City, don't forget the ruby slippers.
The guys throwing the fish, you just have to see it. Save your feet though, you gonna be dancin!

tangobaby February 7, 2008 at 12:41 PM  

Hi J,

I totally agree with you about our little blond friend. All I have to do is show up--she's done all the planning for the both of us. I am very lucky.

It's okay if my heart gets stolen. I like that sort of thing.

;-)

Hi Elizabeth,

I have two pairs of ruby slippers (courtesy of CIF and not the Wicked Witch of the East), not to mention assorted other colors.
The rest of the time, it's flat boots, baby. I brought a big bottle of Aleve. And a bunch of No-Doze.

xo

Elizabeth Brinton February 7, 2008 at 12:47 PM  

Pre Milonga stop, Vivace Coffee, one block away.

Anonymous February 7, 2008 at 12:48 PM  

I don't know, TB. What's left after watching guys throw fish (!!???!).

If you happen to see Jamie Collier, say hi for me. Just ask for her :-)

tangobaby February 7, 2008 at 12:52 PM  

Elizabeth...meet us there? ;-)

Johanna, I'm trying to picture why the fish-throwing is universally recommended. I guess it is one of those things where you just have to be there. Who knows, it may be the pinnacle experience of my trip to Seattle, but I'm putting my money on the tango.

And I will most certainly ask for Jamie.

;-)

Elizabeth Brinton February 7, 2008 at 2:01 PM  

Ae you going to be at the first workshop on Friday? If so, we will see you there, and then we will go directly to the Century Ballroom I think.

tangobaby February 7, 2008 at 2:39 PM  

Yes, we're all signed up for Friday! I can't wait to see you. It may distract me from learning.

Elizabeth Brinton February 7, 2008 at 7:10 PM  

No, You are going to be distracted thinking about those boys throwing the fish. E

RealityPivots February 8, 2008 at 9:56 AM  

7 pairs of tango shoes!? what hath god wrought?

Tina February 9, 2008 at 8:54 AM  

I'm a grumpy anti-fish thrower. It's so disrespectful of food, and it reduces the quality of the fish. I'm a food snob, what can I say? :-)

Otherwise, yes, go to the market! And have coffee at Vivace... and... eat dinner at Entre Nous on Stewart, off of 2nd. (downtown)...

24tango February 9, 2008 at 5:29 PM  

Have a blast of a good time.

Your last sentence made me smile, and I am sure you will get some charming reception to that wish. Enjoy!

MilongaCat.

tangobaby February 11, 2008 at 7:27 PM  

Dear RealityPivots,

Dancing with you, it didn't really matter what shoes I was wearing.

;-)

Dear Tina,

You'll be happy to know that I only saw them throw a bag of clams (not very exciting) and a prepackaged portion of fish (I am assuming it was smoked salmon). Only right before we were getting ready to leave did I see one fish get thrown, and sadly it was to a girl tourist standing behind the counter, and guess what? She dropped the fish!

I agree with you that throwing the fish probably does not improve it for cooking. But the boys at the counter are cute and I guess this gives them something fun to do.

We did not get to eat at any of your recommendations (not even the coffee!) so I'm anticipating another visit with your expert guidance.

Dear MilongaCat,

I have missed you! Thank you for the sweet comment. Anticipating going to the market made me think of Covent Garden and made me realize that I am long overdue for a visit across the pond. Hope you are well.