julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Saturday, February 23, 2008

If Only Tony Had Tangoed



Or, When Dance and Movies Collide (inspired by recent comments/posts by Tangocherie and Alex).

An early morning musing: What if Tony Manero had been walking to a milonga instead of to a disco? No BeeGees perhaps, and I sure would have started dancing tango a lot earlier in life.

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers didn't inspire me to dance because they were so perfect and beautiful that I couldn't aspire to be like them. But John Travolta and ahem, Sally Potter, made me get out on the dance floor and give it a shot because I could relate to them as being normal people who like to dance.

I will admit that I have soft spot in my heart for The Hustle. And the above clip might be one of the best openings to a movie, ever.



Come on, admit it. You like this too.

Now I'm going back to bed. Sitting in front of a computer at 6am on a Saturday is insane.

9 comments:

Anonymous February 23, 2008 at 8:19 AM  

I admit it freely,I like it too! Brings back many fond memories. Will I be incorrigible in ikebana class again this morning now that I have the Bee Gees playing in my head?

Thanks for starting my saturday on such a high note.

btw, cajunbaby enjoyed Tony Manero this morning too!

tangobaby February 23, 2008 at 8:36 AM  

Dearest dutchbaby,

I know you like it! I've seen the pictures...

;-)

I think you *might* be incorrigible in ikebana class anyway, but try to keep the singing down to a whisper and don't use any glitter on your twigs.

Please give my warmest regards to cajunbaby and I'm very honored to have received a visit from such a special guest this morning! Happy weekend!

Anonymous February 23, 2008 at 9:37 AM  

oh dear, shall I flaunt my ignorance? Ikebana?? Am I missing out on something?

As a mildly amusing point of interest, I particularly like this clip because my coif is currently beginning to look suspiciously like Tony's...

tangobaby February 23, 2008 at 9:44 AM  

Dear Tony-Johanna (now you really have to come up here and see me),

Ikebana is the beautiful art of Japanese flower arranging. (Dutchbaby happens to be a very talented artist with flowers.)

Normally Ikebana is conducted in quiet serene settings, I'm guessing it might be practiced as a form of meditation. (Dutchbaby, please hop in and correct me if I'm wrong.) The last time I saw an Ikebana demonstration it was at a Buddhist temple.

It probably would be unnatural to create Ikebana arrangements while listening to BeeGees music. Or any kind of disco, even our beloved ABBA.

Red Shoes February 23, 2008 at 12:29 PM  

Back in my ballroom days, my coach and I would take breaks from our Super Intense Rumba Concentration to dance a bit of hustle just for fun. It feels so happy!

Anonymous February 23, 2008 at 1:15 PM  

Yeah, I bet those Hustle moves are pretty disruptive too :-)

tangobaby February 23, 2008 at 5:04 PM  

Hey Red Shoes,

You'll have to refresh my memory some day. Let's hustle!

;-)

miss tango February 27, 2008 at 5:50 AM  

When you return to Buenos Aires one day, head to the Hotel Bauen. They have a milonga Fridays and Sundays, but the salon is very 1978, and has not changed a bit since the day they built it.

tangobaby February 27, 2008 at 9:44 AM  

Hi Miss Tango,

I'll be sure to bring my tube top collection and my roller skates--you never know, maybe they have disco/roller rink breaks in between tandas.