julieliveshere.com

Thanks for visiting. This site will no longer be updated.

Please visit my new site.

You can find new writing, new photos at

http://julieliveshere.com

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Why You Shouldn't Play Trombone in the End Zone

Congratulations to the New York Giants. I thought it was really cool that Peyton Manning got to watch his little brother turn that game around at the very end like that. I only watched the last quarter, but that sure was an exciting last 1:59.

The Boy just showed me one of his favorite moments in football history (The Play, Stanford v. Cal 1982). Watch the trombone player get totally flattened (and listen to how the newscaster is freaking out). It's amazing what can happen in a game with 4 seconds left on the clock:



This is my best football memory: The Catch. I remember how my dad and I went totally beserk and screamed our silly little heads off. It was awesome. I just started high school, and my dad and I used to watch the games together. I even had my little Montana jersey. Football has never been the same for me since the days of Joe, Dwight and Ronnie. To me, there is no other team.

6 comments:

NYC Tango Pilgrim February 3, 2008 at 11:39 PM  

TB,

I missed the last 2:49, left right after the Pat scored the second touchdown. I thought Giants was finished and didn't want to miss the Sunday night milonga.

The milonga was not worth of missing the historic upset. The only consolation is that I had bet on Giants going all the way, the winning is enough for all my expense in BsAs plus changes to buy some expensive umbrellas.

Is it raining now in SF?

tangobaby February 4, 2008 at 10:12 AM  

Oh, TP. I am so sad for you.

I can see where you would have not wanted to watch those last few minutes of the game...but it really was quite a turnaround. At least you can watch it now on youtube.

I was not rooting for either team (maybe a little bit more for the Patriots since Tom Brady is a local guy) but it was exciting to watch the whole thing flip in a matter of seconds.

Like the saying goes, "It ain't over till the fat lady sings." Or the marching band gets run over in the end zone.

Psyche February 4, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

The Play is funny.

I'm so happy for Eli. After all the flack, what a great end to the year. That play where he dodged the sack and then Tyree caught the ball on his head - amazing. What an incredible fourth quarter.

I wish I'd bet on the Giants! I knew they could do it, but I figured it might jinx it if I bet on it.

tangobaby February 4, 2008 at 12:14 PM  

Psyche,

You crack me up. I love that you know more about American football than most of the people I was watching the game with in a bar in the Castro. I forgot that you are such a football-lovin' tango diva.

That last quarter was incredible. I did think that the Patriots had it in the bag.

I watched that clip of The Play about five times in a row. If you knew more about the Stanford Band, which seems to have a history of troublemakers and hard drinking folks, then it would not be as surprising that the trombone player got creamed. I live with a reformed Band member so that's how I know they are a silly bunch.

Anonymous February 5, 2008 at 8:50 AM  

I remember watching "The Catch" like it was yesterday. Having lived through years and years of 49er losses,I relished that win more than any other. I lived right around the corner from Pat O'Shea's Mad Hatter on Geary Street and it was the first time I saw a fan flash her boobs in the excitement of a football win. No, it wasn't me!

tangobaby February 6, 2008 at 9:20 AM  

What a great memory, dutchbaby! You are a San Francisco girl at heart, no matter where you live now.

The Catch was definitely worth flashing boobies for. I'm glad someone did it (are you sure it wasn't you?). I was at home with my dad so of course that wouldn't have worked out.